Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Mulch

Posted by big_daddi 8a (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 0:06

North Texas Zone 8a

What is the very best natural mulch to use in beds?

Is using natural mulch better than using artifical mulch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Mulch

There isn't a "very best", though there are some materials that are great and some that aren't. I use wood chips because I can get clean loads dumped for free by a couple of tree companies that produce chips in the size I like. I've also used pine bark and pine straw and fall leaves. Lots of people use compost as a mulch, but I have found that it doesn't last long enough on the surface to suit my lazy self. Very beneficial as a top dressing.

Natural mulches are certainly best. They eventually decompose, returning elements to the soil. They buffer the soil temperature, keeping it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. They reduce water loss by evaporation, aid in soil/atmosphere gas exchange, assist in water percolation, and prevent wind and water erosion. These mulches create a vastly improved environment for root systems and soil microorganisms.

I don't know what kind of artificial mulches you are thinking of but whatever they are...they won't improve the soil.

My personal feeling is that we should use whatever natural, carbon based source that is most available to us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here