Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
natural preditors for pest control

Posted by gardenyoda none (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 0:10

I recently upgraded my basement green house to a larger more extravagant one. I have an ever growing aphid issue. I'd rather use a natural predator of the little green pests. Has anyone used lady bugs like this before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: natural preditors for pest control

A very large number of greenhouses use both Lady Beetles (Lady Bugs) as well as Green Lacewings for Aphid control.
Look also at the soil and nutrients you are using since Aphids are attracted to plants that are being fed high amounts of Nitrogen.

o

never heard of introducing bugs .... good or bad ... INSIDE the house ...

good luck with that ...

ken

o

Greenhouse, ken. Greenhouse.

o

Just curious, what do you grow in your basement? It might make a difference regarding control.

o

greenhouse in the BASEMENT jean ...

in my world.. that is INSIDE THE HOUSE... lol ..

unless he has some vapor lock second room entry and exit.. and uses a suit that remains inside... etc ...

i suspect there is a reason we havent been told the crop ...

ken

ps: prevention is worth all cure.. next time sterilize your media.. and dont bring the vermin in the house ...

o

I'm going to go against the trend here, but IMHE natural predators are not a solution, especially in the situation you describe. You will be much better off spraying a soap solution. Good luck. Ian

o

Won't somebody think of the poor ladybugs.
Once they eat the aphids, they will starve to death. Sounds like a horrible way to die.

Bad karma man. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here