Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disease identification on lilac please

Posted by wpark2419 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 1:11

I bought a dwarf tinkerbelle lilac about a month ago. It was doing very well after I planted it until about a week ago. I noticed the leaves started turning brown and curling upwards, though it was still flowering. The flowering has mostly stopped now (it may be done, I'm not sure) and all the leaves are very sick looking, brown and curled and very dry, almost crunchy. Someone said it looked like powdery mildew even though there's no powder so I put some anti fungal spray on it 4 days ago and it's still looking bad. I usually water it every day on warm days. I've looked it over and cannot see any bugs, or evidence of bugs. I will try to upload a few pictures (sorry about the quality, the wind was blowing). Any ideas would be appreciated.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disease identification on lilac please

My Lilacs get Powdery Mildew every year and I have never seen it do that. I have seen Lilacs do that where someone has sprayed a "weed" killer nearby, even if none of the "weed" killer has contacted the leaves.
You might also look closely to see of that Lilac has Borers.

o

weird spring.. lost almost all flower on my 10 foot plants.. lost to frost/freeze ....

how many frosts and freezes since you planted it ..

the PM might be secondary to cold problems ...

any history of such ..

ken

o

kimmsr...I haven't sprayed any kind of weed killer or anything in my yard. I looked, and I don't see any evidence of borers. I did notice one tiny spider web...not sure if it's what's causing the problem or if it's just a spiders web. It's very small though. I cannot see any bugs or holes anywhere.
ken...it's frozen probably twice and only frosted a few times since I planted it. I do have straw at the bottom to help with that.

o

the leaf is cold damaged..

i dont know where you are.. but in MI.. its way to early for PM.. thats a hot humid NIGHT thing issue.. not late spring ...

ignore it.. keep it properly watered.. its alive ... i dont know what more you want with a recent transplant..

ken

o

I'm in Idaho, in zone 6. Thanks for the help. I'll just keep watering and hope it gets better.

o

its a recent transplant..

if it were in my yard.. and it simply lived thru winter .... i would be high 5'ing you ... lower your expectations a bit .... and be happy its still green and growing.. lol ...

i often wonder if the chemical insult of a remedy.. might actually harm a recent transplant ... so i often.. just go the watering route for transplants ...

no fert ... in case you were wondering ..

just deep watering and near drying in between .. insert finger thru mulch.. to check ...

ken

o

Thank you, I'll just quit worrying about it and hope it lives. I appreciate the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here