Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mona_lisa_67

My Plant Looks Burnt?

Mona_Lisa_67
11 years ago

I have a broom bush that was flourishing and then, one day it looked burnt around the bottom half and the next day, the whole thing looked scorched. It took two days from gorgeous to . . . well. . . burnt.

None of the other broom bushes had that happen, I didn't burn it with fertilizer. . . I don't get it.

I'm worried that if it is the results of some disease, my other plants might get sick too. It's the only plant in any of my gardens to fail.

I dug it up and rooted around in the dirt around it. I only saw one grub worm.

There might have been some white powdery stuff right around the base, just below the surface, but not pronounced enough for me to even be certain that's what I saw.

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

transplant shock ?

what is your watering protocol?

ken

• Mona_Lisa_67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everything transplanted well. I put them in back in February. I'm watering every week now. Every plant in the entire garden, including 3 other broom bushes I bought at the same time is flourishing. :0(
    M

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

While it looked like two days to you something was going on much longer. You might waant to talk with the people at your county office of the Texas A & M Cooperative Extension Service.

Here is a link that might be useful: TAMU CES

• Mona_Lisa_67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I called them and they said it sounds like an anomaly. The symptoms don't have the characteristics of how diseases hit the plants. He suggests just taking that one plant back and having them replace it. There is the option of sending it in for a $35 disease test. If it isn't a disease then they wouldn't be able to tell me what it is. I'll replace the plant and then if it happens to any of the other plants, I'll pay the $35 and send it in.

Thanks so much for the advice. I didn't find out what did happen, but I don't feel worried about the rest of my garden now.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Please post images.

• ronalawn82
    11 years ago

Mona_Lisa_67, if a plant goes from flourishing to brown (burnt) in two days, I'd bet that it was something abiotic - like being doused with with something like water from the swimming pool, gasoline/coolant spill (turf), hot gases from auto exhaust etc. Within 3 days, a very large and luxuriant fishtail palm turned brown in the showroom of an auto dealership. It turned out that the floor had been stripped and the contents of a mop bucket were poured into the plant container.
    The answer often lies in the recent history of how the plant was treated - if you can obtain it.

• Mona_Lisa_67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm trying to get the photos uploaded now. I took them with my phone and am waiting for them to show up in my inbox.
    I have been out looking at everything and I'm thinking a couple of things.
    I have been watering at night since I work a lot and I have worms.
    Maybe that's it. Once I get the photos up maybe it will help.
    M

• Mona_Lisa_67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm trying to upload the photos. It's my first time, so I hope it works.
    {{gwi:1153880}}May 5, 2012

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

weird how on the original post.. way up above.. it lists TX ... but your more recent replies.. say NONE ... and on your newer posts ....

what is your native soil ??? as compared to the potting media on the plant ... a wide divergence of media to soil. can lead to all kinds of water management problems ... and such can lead to root rots .. and once those rot.. the plant will brown very quickly ...

on the other posts.. i guess cold damage can probably be ruled out.. lol ...

ken

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Root system looks bone dry. As ken suggested, could be watering issue.

• Mona_Lisa_67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I checked and I think maybe I'm not watering enough. I water many times a week but maybe I'm not using enough water and it's drying out too fast. The soil is very sandy and on a slope with no shade. I watered deeper yesterday so we'll see if things pick up.