Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repelling dog out of flower boxes

Posted by sf4023st (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 4:22

I live in an apartment building with a shared outdoor space that is only used by me currently and I'm growing some plants in wooden beds that are 3 feet tall. Problem is my neighbor's jack russell has been jumping into the boxes and digging out all my newly planted and established plants. It's terrible. This has happened many times before and the owner has recognized and apologized but it's still happening (I honestly don't think the owner cares) I have put out a lot of work and my own money into these beds and it's devastating to see all the work gone in a few minutes. Advice? I'm looking into dog repellents but not sure how good they work unless you can suggest a god one. I'm also considering placing potted cacti around the base of the boxes to deter but does that seem a little too much? I have several small agaves to place too but don't won;t to hurt the dog just make stop it from jumping into the boxes.

Advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repelling dog out of flower boxes

You may want to try danger zone. Worked well for us with raccoons and the label says it works on dogs. I know the next doors dog does not come over in dump in the yard anymore. Worth a look

Here is a link that might be useful: Danger Zone

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, May 5, 10 at 14:44

You wrote "potted cacti around the base of the boxes"

Have you noticed how agile Jack Russell's are? It'd be a cinch for the dog to jump over.

A fence works well, if tall enough.
One idea for a "portable" fence: Get metal fence posts that you jam into the ground, then attach 4-foot wide hog wire fencing to them.

o

Is there a leash law?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here