Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spaghetti squash seedlings - leaves turning pale!

Posted by burngirl 8 (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 5:03

Hello,

This is my first attempt at growing spaghetti squash. They have been grown from seed, and are in 4 inch pots. I wonder if the leaves are turning pale yellow/white due to a nutrient deficiency? The seedlings are only about 7 weeks old so I thought the potting compost would be enough until I get them into the garden around May 12th or so. Any ideas would be much appreciated! I should mention I'm trying to garden with minimal chemical use. I was going to try out comfrey "tea" and manure as fertilisers in the veggie garden this year, as well as the base of compost we have in the beds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spaghetti squash seedlings - leaves turning pale!

Most likely a nutrient deficiency, which may or may not indicate a lack of that nutrient in the soil. The deficiency may be soil temperature related, especially with a soil that depends on the activity of the Soil Food Web to supply nutrients to the plants.
Nitrogen availability is very soil temperature dependent.

Here is a link that might be useful: plant nutrient deficiencies

o

if you used fresh media to start the seed.. like you.. i would also presume it wouldnt wear out inside a few weeks ...

i would lean more toward lack of sufficient light ... on a plant that big.. indoors in that size pot ... if you do it again.. start the seed a week or two later.. so you will have a smaller plant to deal with ...

is it only the lower .... oldest leaves???: ... if so.. that leads me to low light levels ... are they under lights?? .. how does the light hit the lower leaves .. and if they are in a window .... has the sun risen in the sky.. and they arent getting as much light now????

regardless... they should be outdoors already..in full bright shade.. hardening off to temps and brighter light [perhaps into the garage at night if low temps are expected] ... a few days in bright shade.. and few days in some weak sun [morning and evening] .. and then in the ground within a week ... watching the forecasts for late frosts ...

and since you will be planting them.. i would not go dosing them with anything other than some very diluted plant food .... and then only water for the first week or two in the ground ...

germination is usually the easiest part.. lol .. its the rest where we screw it up ... and i wouldnt go all batty loving it to death.. now that you got that good looking a plant .. this far ...

get it in the ground.. and it will sort itself out.. IMHO ..

ken

ps: i see flower buds.. properly timed out ... they would not be flowering in the house ... you may lose those flowers due to transplant shock ... dont worry about it... soon enough you will be begging friends to take excess squash away ... lol ...losing one or two early is not a problem ....

o

Thank you! They are hardening off now, and I plan to get them into large pots in the yard (don't have room in my beds) in the next few days. I'll just reassure myself that - hopefully - they'll sort themselves out once they're planted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here