Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eliminating Groundhogs

Posted by mrsbeasley 4a Northern Ont (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 7:16

My 10 acre field is overrun with Groundhogs, They make mounds so high the mower gets hung up on them. This year they gotta go, so my intent is to find ALL their entrances, and then eliminate the groundhogs.

I would like to make smudge sticks or smoke sticks, stick them down the known holes, and mark where the smoke comes up. I have a quantity of tent pegs with bright orange tape tied to them at the ready, and my plan is to watch the field for smoke, and go to where the smoke is exiting the ground and mark it.

Can anyone advise me on how to make a stick that makes very visible smoke.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eliminating Groundhogs

Although Groundhogs, Woodchucks, are burrowers they do not make tunnels, so if what you have are tunnels yiu probably have a mole. If you are to use a smoke bomb to control a Groundhog you will need to find its burrow, home. and use that smoke bomb while the animal is in.
Live trapping may be an option, if Ontario allows you to transport the critter somplace else.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Groundhogs

o

They are, indeed groundhogs. I've seen them. I've had moles and voles too, but it's the groundhogs that are destroying my field. Groundhogs build mounds that one of them will sit on and watch for predators. Because a groundhog's den has multiple entrances, It's my intent to find each and every exit, and place traps at every one of them. I want these groundhogs gone. Does anyone know how to make a smoke stick?

o

I don't know how to make a smoke stick but we had trouble with groundhogs last year and we removed a family of them by dumping very soapy water into each hole (about a bucket full). Apparently they don't like the soap and they abandon the hole then move on.

o

Hi mrsbeasley~I'm an expert in getting rid of groundhogs, I hunt them all the time! (for farmers, near buildings and livestock too) I do most of this in SW Ontario, NW of Arthur. (roughly) I don't charge for this, and would be happy to discuss it further with you if you'd like to email me. If you're in a built-up area, you might need to resort to an alternative solution, but if you're in the country, I might be able to help.

Please email me hipwader@sympatico.ca Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here