Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
round yellow eggs in soil

Posted by norabanzhof Zone 6 PA (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 08 at 8:04

Hi. Really hoping someone can help with id'ing what type of insect lays yellow eggs underground. Last year I planted a butterfly bush, which thrived then, but did not come back this spring. When I dug it up, there were tons of small yellow to very pale yellow (almost white) eggs. When squeezed, some were empty and some had whitish gunk in them. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: round yellow eggs in soil

I could have sworn that I answered this, but I guess not! Anyway, slug eggs look very much like slow-release fertilizer prills (like Osmocote) after they've absorbed water for a few months. Could be either of those.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 08 at 14:47

Slug eggs are uniformly-sized and rubbery, also either clear or whitish.

Osmocote is crunchy and golden, the pieces not uniform. When spent, they match your descriptiuon of "When squeezed, some were empty and some had whitish gunk in them."

o

and if you used.. or the pot contained an abundance of slow release fertilizer.. with the wrong formula for your zone... especially applied directly to the trunk/crown/roots

you could have been heavily fertilizing your plant very late in the year.. when it should have been hardening off for a long hard winter like we have in z5/6 ...

which could lead to death ...

slug can not kill a shrub in my estimation ...

ken

PS: i can not grow a butterfly bush in z5 for more than one winter.. i question their hardiness ... and if you had a particularly hard winter in zone 6 ... it may have died.. just to spite you .... i wouldnt worry about it.. but i personally wouldnt replace it ..

o

Butterfly Bush is not winter hardy in z6. They might survive if you treated them like roses. Remember BB like well drained soil on the dry side.

In southern NM, I water mine only when we haven't had rain in several month, like now (6 months worth), then deeply ever two months. BB can be trimmed back to 6 - 12 inches from the ground.

o

Thanks for all your responses...you really helped! I do believe the mystery egg are osmocote. I am bummed that butterfly bushes don't thrive in our zone. Anyway, thanks again!

o

I recently discovered that there are yellow fungus type insect eggs growing in my garden. I cut it out of my monkey grass and realized that it was filled with a spider web type material inside. The ones I removed from the wood around the garden contained soil. Anyone have an idea of what insect could be invading my garden?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here