Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red grub like insect

Posted by mr_from_ma (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 07 at 8:21

I was digging in the soil and discovered this mystery insect. It is 3/4" long, reddish brown, hard shelled with no legs and no obvious head. My daughter thought it was an almond. It looked to me like a pill capsule (medicine). I wasn't even sure it was alive til it moved its head. It has this 'armor-like' neck and head - very pre-historic like. Anyone know what this bug is? I will try to dig up another and post a picture later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red grub like insect

I'll bet that it's a pupae of some sort. We'll be waiting for that picture!

o

Check out http://bugguide.net/node/view/70664 Do they look like that? This link will take you to Bug Guide's pupae identification page http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=pupae&search=Search

(Thanks for the link to BugGuide, botanybob, it's a real help).

o

YES!!!! That's it! Thank you for solving the mystery.

Next question - will they damage plants? I found them in the soil beneath a very wilted coreopsis. I can't seem to determine what is wrong with the coreopsis - everything I have read tells me that coreopsis is very drought and pest resistant.

Thanks again for your help.

o

Those are the pupae of a moth....can't really tell you for sure which one you might have because there are so many that are similar to each other. Many of the hornworm caterpillars (Sphinx Moths) have a similiar pupal stage.

Pupa do not eat. They are too busy changing into a moth (in this case). Most of the Sphinx moths are very pretty. The caterpillers are, too. You'll find them munching away on plants in your garden or yard. Many are host specific.

o

• Posted by malorn 7 S.E. Mass (My Page) on
    Mon, May 14, 07 at 14:51

If it is a gypsy moth...squish it now!

Sorry..I don't usually advocate squishing without ID..

gypsy moth is devestating my area..and here's a link..your ID is mr from ma..is MA stands for massachusetts..you have gypsy moth too...

gypsy moth pupaes really ugly and hairy..here's a link..

Here is a link that might be useful: gypsy moth

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, May 15, 07 at 23:07

Not a gypsy moth. They don't pupate in the ground.

o

I believe what talking about is the pupa of a cutworm. So you would want to destroy it so it doesn't breed in future years. I found several of them in my garden, along with dozens of cutworms and no other large insects. Check out the link, it's googled images of cutworm pupa.

Here is a link that might be useful: google pupa cutworm

o

Are Cutworms and Sphinx Moths in England? I but ten minutes ago found a pupa and I'm not sure whether its a Sphinx Moth or a Cutworm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here