Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fire blight on weeping louisa crabapple

Posted by bumblebeecabin 7AL (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 8:33

I recently purchased two plants earlier this spring, and both seem to have come down with Fire Blight. The second plant is a Lady Banks Rose.

First it was the new growth around the blossoms, shriveling, then curling, eventually turning a horrible black... but never dropping. It was the uppermost arching branches of the tree...I was hesitant to cut them until I was sure, since I never had a crab apple nor blight. Once I realized the severity of the bacteria... I cut off three branches at the trunk, rinsing my shears with isopropyl alcohol between use. I burned the infected limbs and sprayed the remainder of the tree with an organic 'helpful' bacteria that will supposedly help minimize the blight.
Now, another three large branches have blight... and if I cut those the tree will be down to two or three small branches...needless to say butchered.

My questions.... is this tree doomed? We are continuing to have a moist, humid, hot spring... I wonder if I am going to kill the tree with all the pruning and it has only been in the ground a few months.

Second... how contagious is this bacterial infection? I only have the one crab apple...and the one rose... no other fruiting trees.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Anita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fire blight on weeping louisa crabapple

I've never dealt with fire blight on my 'Louisa', but considering yours is new, I'd return it now rather than trying to fight a disease on a newly purchased tree. These supposedly have good resistance to most diseases, so I'd return it.

o
RE: Fire blight on weeping louisa crabapple

Thanks for your post...

Yes, I thought about returning it. I guess I am being overly careful, and I will admit I am completely new to fireblight...but I was concerned about putting it in the back of my SUV, where I carry all sorts of other plants/trees to and from my favorite nurseries. I didn't know if it (the bacteria) is so contagious as to contaminate surfaces.

I have gotten aggressive with my pruning and it seems to have finally stopped spreading (fingers crossed). Things are starting to dry up here a little bit, so maybe the Louisa will survive. She is a lot shorter than she used to be but her remaining few limbs/leaves look good.

Now if I cold just run off the voles...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here