Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chipmunks AND voles?

Posted by warshaw11 none (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 8:58

I am new to this site thanks to the creatures that are taking over my yard-I need help!

I have a smallish yard, have lawn, half wooded hill covered in shrubs, trees and junipers. Recently had several rose bushes and nandina blow over in a storm, when we removed them I saw that they had basically separated from the roots, right at the ground-hmmm? Some kind of animal? Well, most of the hill is spongy feeling, but hard to find any holes as it is covered in mulch, pine straw and plants. The yard is starting to feel spongy now also. Hubby has seen a hole or two in the grass. We had decided we have voles, and then just yesterday he has seen several chipmunks in the yard and among the plantings. So I guess my question is: is it possible the chipmunks are causing all this damage, or do we likely have TWO infestations in our yard. FWIW, we have seen pretty large droppings in the garage and basement. I do NOT want the critters taking up residence in my house! After reading these forums all day yesterday, I am ready to build a swimming pool, but has anyone used this method for voles as well?

Thanks for reading my LONG plight and for any advice available.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chipmunks AND voles?

Voles, Field mice, are not very likely to do much tunneling but moles do. While chipmunks will make thunnels to nest in they seldom tunnel in the yard. All of these can be difficult to control, although traps can help. However, with live traps you need to know what to do with what you trapped, and most states require licenses to transport wild animals any place. The other traps, that kill the animal, can also work, but leave you with a body to dispose of. Poisons are no longer recommended because they are too available to too many other animals, including domesticated ones, family pets.
Pumping engine exhaust into the tunnel is no longer recommended by those that know about engines because that can cause expensive engine repairs. Flodding the tunnels does not work since the animals that tunnel learned long ago how to keep from drowning in a flood, or they would not still be around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here