Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer

Posted by holatomm 10b (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 9:28

I had an unfortunate mishap! My meyer lemon tree, bell peppers, and tomatos were under attack from various pests; behind my backyard is a service road, and on the other side of that road they've just recently began developing a new community. It was previously a farm that grew tomatoes mainly, but they dug it all up. Therefore all sorts of creatures have been displaced (AKA moved into mine & my neighbors yards!) I've had to deal with snakes, rats, mice, lizards, frogs, toads, etc.

The main issue is the insect population! It's swollen to ridiculous numbers. Anyway I told my partner I needed him to pickup pesticide (I usually make own, but the numbers are just too high for that). He said "oh, I have some in the garage. Use that"

So, I did. No label or anything, it must've gotten wet and torn off. As I'm going outside to use it, he gets home. I asked him what brand/type it was. He said he'd have to go and find the receipt.

I started to spray... then he comes out and tells me it's Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer for Lawns & Shrubs. I knew in the back of my mind that this probably wasn't good for fruits/vegetables, so I stopped spraying and hosed down the plants for about 10-15 minutes and soaked the soil for a bit longer. I then went online and looked at the label and sure enough it states "Not for use on fruits or vegetables"

Here's my question: Would my drenching of the plants and surroundings be enough to where I can still utilize the lemons (once ripe), and bell peppers? Or do I need to tear out the bell peppers and get a new lemon tree?

Help needed! Please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer

I'm sorry for the huge changes to your environment. I would expect it to find a natural balance at some point. Other than the rats and mice, I wouldn't mind having any of those critters....and the snakes will take care of them for you, lol.

Go back on-line and obtain the toll free number on the label, in order to ask them about the citrus....for next year. You shouldn't harvest this year's crop. Forget about your other garden plants.

The lesson to be learned is simple. No chemical should be used without a clear understanding of the label. Hopefully you understand that no one should use an unknown product....especially one without a label. I tell everyone that every bit of information needed for the safe use of a chemical is on that label. Everything. It's up to us to read, understand, and follow those directions. Believe it or not, that's the law.

Now you know how easy it is to find a label on line. I think that you'll also find that you'll obtain good information by calling that toll free number. I promise that the manufacturers want their products to be used properly and safely and will help you do so.

Best of luck.

o

Yes I hope it balances out as well. I might have a minor fear of reptiles though so I do mind a bit haha.

When you say forget about the other plants, do you mean....I have to...part with them? Just as my peppers are turning their respective colors! *FACE PALM*

You're very correct, never ever again will I use anything without a label. I'm not one to use chemicals anyway, everything is use is typically made by me, and if I can't make it then I'll make sure to buy something made completely naturally. Anyway I've tried contacting the company (that was my first step before coming here) & they were kind of just like "well, you're not really supposed to use it on fruits & vegetables." Maybe I'll try back & see if I can speak to someone who's not a dunce...lol.

Thanks for your help!

o

Sorry....you can't eat the veggies or existing fruit. :-( By the way, which formulation did you use....the ready-to-use or something you had to mix with water?

o

I'm kicking myself!
The ready to use spray, where you just attach your hose pipe to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here