Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eahamel

Organic Pesticide Uses?

eahamel
10 years ago

I saw this organic pesticide that's supposed to kill or deter snails and slugs. However, it looks like it could be used for other things. Anyone have any knowledge about what these ingredients can be used for?

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

a pleasant salad dressing??

ken

BTW... what are you fighting.. besides the temptation to experiment with herb dressing ????

• eahamel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very funny, Ken! But seriously, did you know that most of those have been shown to kill or prevent problems such as fungus (cinnamon), insects (garlic and I think rosemary)? If this could be used to kill or prevent something like chili thrips or Asian leaf miners on citrus, it could be a very valuable addition to the pesticide arsenal. I hate using toxic chemicals.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

You might email and ask Monterey. Their website shows multiple products, including one specifically for citrus leaf miner so maybe they've already tested other pest applications.

And Ken, I'm not sure I'd enjoy the wintergreen or peppermint on my salads. Also why I don't use the deer repelling products on soft fruits (berries) or vegetables, I can't imagine them not adding flavor to the crop :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Monterey products

• ronalawn82
    10 years ago

eahamel, there was a time when plants were the only source of all medicines, drugs etc. Over the years extraction and concentration methods have enabled the exploitation of useful products into "-cides" (insecti-, miti-, nemati-, etc.)
    In my own lifetime I have seen the leaves of the Neem tree (Azadirachta indica) used as a repellent against weevils in stored grain and as a relief from measles. (They made us sleep on a bed of Neem leaves when we had the condition). I have seen it eaten as a salad but it was too bitter for me.
    It was not a surprise to me when Margosan-O⢠was marketed as an insecticide and deer repellent. I have been overwhelmed by perfume in an elevator and I can understand a mosquito's avoidance of citronella oil.

• eahamel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morz, I e-mailed Monterey about it and the e-mail bounced. I'll call them tomorrow.

ronalawn, yes, you're right about plants. I think people from India have used neem leave forever. I've seen them in Indian grocery stores here. I think a lot of us are looking for more natural ways to repel or kill pests.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

"Natural" does not necessarily mean safer. Some botanicals are as broad spectrum poisons, and just as bad for the environment, as many of the synthetic poisons.