Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirleywedge

Dead Ladybugs with fungus?

shirleywedge
12 years ago

I have an infestation of spider mites and probably aphids in my small garden. I ordered ladybugs to help remedy the problem from Arbico Organics. They came in a white, plastic, mesh bag and were all alive and well upon arrival. I set them free intermittently over the course of about a week or two, in the meantime I kept what ladybugs I had not let into the garden in my refrigerator. About a week after I had let all the ladybugs free I checked on the garden and they were all dead in the soil. I couldn't find one live ladybug.

Please see this link for images: http://imgur.com/a/BRqHD

Some of the bugs had a white fungus-like growth covering their entire bodies. I have included pictures.

I now have more spider mites than before and probably more garden pests.

Question One: What killed the ladybugs?

Question Two: Can anyone recommend a miticide or pesticide for indoor and outdoor use? I found a spider mite in my house as well!

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Images of Dead Ladybugs

Comments (5)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Could have occurred after death. You know, the decomposing thing.

Or they might have been infected earlier. Lady bugs & other insects have their share of problems. It's part of life.

Further, the week-long stay in the fridge didn't help.

As for the spider mites, spray the plants with water early morning, making certain you hit the undersides of the leaves. Repeat every several days.

Same goes for aphids.

• TrooperGirl
    11 years ago

Im in Colorado, United States
    I had purchased (3 packages total of 5000) of lady bugs 2 from one store and 1 from another store. I let them out that evening after I watered it was about dusk. On the 2nd day... there are piles of dead lady bugs in my garden... my flower and my veg. Any idea what killed all those lady bugs? I dont get it. I have seen like "maybe" 10 that are still alive that I have actually seen. We had a overnite rain and a couple of storms in the last week.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

You people need to be contacting whomever you purchased the ladybugs from and ask THEM what the problems might be.

Popsicle, one doesn't usually find 'one' spider mite. What kind of plant did you see it on?

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

The life span of the Lady Beetle is reported to be anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to 3 years. For any one individual that may depend on when they emerge from the egg. What you need to know is how long were those Lady Beetles around and how long were they in the package and how were they stored which will have a great deal to do with life span. If the package was not properly refrigerated, to aid in keeping the Lady Beetles dormant, their life span could be greatly affected.

• Tinkerbel
    11 years ago

There is a beneficial fungus Beauveria Bassiana that is used for pest control and is found naturally in the soil.

I would contact the place where you purchased your Lady Bird Beetles they need to know there is an issue. It could be they were old or got too cold or too hot. It is even possible they were contaminated with Beauveria where they were bred.

Keep in mind you only need a few to survive. It is actually the Lady Bird Beetle larvae with the voracious appetites.