Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black gooey substance on plants

Posted by hooked_on_lights TN (My Page) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 10:57

I have a mysterious black gooey substance covering parts of my creeping phlox. It feels like black grease. It is sticky. There don't seem to be any insects involved. I wonder if anyone could help to determine what it is. I took it to our local nursery and stumped the three experts who would be the ones that might know what it is.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cliff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black gooey substance on plants

Are there any plants above it that might have a scale or aphid infestation?

o

A picture would be most helpful.

o

To gargwarb:
There are no plants other than these creeping phlox.
To rhizo:
I will add a picture....not sure how to do it at this point.
I am also including the following as it appears to have some bearing on the problem. The ground was prepared by using a layer of topsoil, on top of that a layer of mushroom compost, and then another layer of topsoil. I have used a spray fungicide (Chlorothalonil) that seems to be helping, but it has rained within a few hours of application each of two times. There are very thin mushrooms coming up like crazy and many of them have this substance on them, even within 12 hours of their appearance. Where they are coming up in the phlox, the black gooey substance seems to then be growing in that area where the mushrooms came up, especially if the mushrooms had the substance on them to begin with.
Hope the picture and this other information might help.
Cliff

o
picture of black gooey substance on plants

rhizo: there is a picture that was just posted (new post) showing the black affected area as best as I could show it.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, May 19, 10 at 19:48

Your image is here
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pests/msg0512294931198.html

Here is a link that might be useful: image

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here