Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beneficial nemoatodes?!? Do they help?

Posted by Rehric00 none (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 11:14

I just learned of these. I have a problem with cut worms and last year I had bad horn worms. Will these help with the horn worms? Are they safe to put into my garden? Any info and experiences are appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beneficial nemoatodes?!? Do they help?

You'll need to match the species of insect-parasitic nematodes with the insect you wish to control. And the timing of the nematode application is very important, as is the suitability of your environment and the quality (viability) of the nematodes.

Yes, insect-parasitic nematodes are safe to use in the garden....it is pretty much up to you to make sure that their use will be effective or a waste of time and money.

I've not heard of nematodes being used to control hornworms. Are you talking about the big Tobacco hornworm so commonly found on tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, etc.? How many plants are you trying to protect (defend)?

o

I have 35 tomatoes 50-60 peppers potatoes cucumbers squash melons.. All sorts of stuff. The cut worms first got one of my smallers potatoes. I didn't think anything of it. Then two nights ago it dented one tomato and I built dirt up around the stem to try and save it. Today I went outside and it had destroyed the same plant from yesterday (thank god it was only one so far). And last year they were the big green worms with a spike on their butt. I've heard there are tomato horns and tobacco worms. All I know is these were huge, bright green and did a great deal of damage. :( I thought the nemoatodes might help with those too since they are used for cut worms too :)

o

You need to protect your plants from hornworms with a biological agent called Bacillus thuringiensis kurstaki (Bt -k) . Bt -k has been used for generations to control caterpillar pests of trees, shrubs, garden plants of all kinds, and agriculture.

Bt works by infecting the gut of any caterpillar that ingests it...the younger the better. I would apply a liquid formulation with that many plants. The larvae feeds on the Bacillus, becomes infected and can no longer eat leaves but won 't die right away.

Bt is safe to use around pets and children and won't harm the birds that love to feed on the hornworms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here