Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mega ant colony

Posted by acer 6b western NC (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 11:34

We live in the mountains of western North Carolina, zone 6B. A few years ago we had a dump truck load of mulch unloaded on our property. It was from a tree company that had been clearing power line rights-of-way. We soon noticed a large colony of red and black ants in it. We treated it with some stuff from the big-box store, but it didn't get them all, and now they've spread like crazy, covering a big portion of an acre lot. They're not fire ants, thank goodness, but they're agressive and they pinch. You can't even walk around down there. Any suggestions?

This post was edited by acer on Wed, May 14, 14 at 11:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mega ant colony

I think that you should capture some ants (clean, clear, open mouth jar like a mason jar) and take them to your local Extension office for proper ID. If there's no one on staff who can identify them, then ask that they send them off to someone who can.

Different species respond to differing methods of control.

Ants are a normal and beneficial member of a healthy ecosystem, but if the population is very much out of balance, it's not good for anyone....including the ants.

o

Hello.

I have friends who live in Henderson County and they have had HORRIBLE problems w/a species called Allegheny mound ants (Formica exsectoides). They had to have parts of their wooded property treated as these ants were killing trees and all other insects they came in contact with! I agree you should contact your local extension office and ask if they have any ideas for you! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Allegheny mound ants

o

Adidas, that is extremely useful information for Acer. If there's a trend, the Extension people should be able to help.

Acer, sometimes the phones of the county offices will be answered by someone who really can't help. Try to speak with an actual agent.

o

I had a colony of allegheny mound ants on my property............just happened to have a master gardener group over for part of their training and they got to see what they looked like. The ants were a newbie in this area at the time. They will indeed inject formic acid into their surroundings to kill off vegetation. Like said.........have them identified.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here