Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these bugs? Cantaloupe

Posted by savanna07 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 11:37

This is a cantaloupe seedling that I've had for a few weeks that seems not to have grown at all since I transplanted. Today, I noticed these on the back of the leaves and some on the stem. Are they aphids? They are very tiny so it is hard to tell what their bodies actually look like. If so how can I get rid if them without harming the plant or other beneficial insects? Thanks in advance, I am very new to this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these bugs? Cantaloupe

spray them off with water ... think windex type bottle with water only ...

were these seeds started indoors and taken outside..

did you harden them off properly ... including to the sun??? .. before plantign them in mother earth ?????

they look in transplant shock.. or if not transplanted.. then cold damage ...

nothing to do but wait to see if they get over it ...

there arent enough aphids there to have caused any of this.. but knock them off anyway ...

these plants.. as are most vegs.. are hot earth plants... when we jump the gun a bit.. and plant them in cold soil.. they just sit there .... how cold have your nights been ... if it hasnt constantly been staying in at least the 60s at night ... then its not a happy camper ...

ken

ps: its even worse.. if they were bought from a hot cozy greenhouse.. and you planted them directly into cold soil.. because it was warm and toasty the day you bought them .... again.. they would have needed to be hardened off prior ...

o

Thank you for your reply! I bought them from a nursery a few weeks ago and they were about this size when I did.. I'm sure that you're right, they were nice and cozy in a greenhouse and then I planted them outside.. I think we have had a few nights below 60 since I transplanted

o

Those appear to be aphids and I'd guess that your cantaloupes are struggling with exposure to the full sun after being grown in a greenhouse.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Tue, May 6, 14 at 17:10

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here