Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this - the Black Death?

Posted by grinder12000 4 now 5 I guess (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 11:44

Everything is going well as it has in the past 5 years but all of a sudden on the East and West sides of the house I get what looks to be the same problem. south side - not a speck of black. Just on selected plants.

Any ideas what this is? Columbus WI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this - the Black Death?

Do you have a dog?

o

LOL - yea but the 15 year old deaf Corgi prefers to go on our carpeting. Plus . . ."it" could not go that high.

There were brownish mushrooms around. No real rain for over a week but plenty the last few days. I drove past McKay Nursery and it looked like some trees had it (but at 65 mph I was not sure).

o

frost damage a week or so ago.. complicated by drought and severe heat ...

is it right next to the pavement.. with sun reflecting off of it???

or spray drift ...

ken

o

They are on top of rock walls next to the house. Looks like frost damage but I'm not sure when the last frost was.

Shade for the most part. The full sunny areas show no problem. hmmmm

o

There were frost warnings out last week for areas north of generally Milwaukee to Muskegon and temperatures here dipped down below 32 although I see no eveidence, here, of frost damage. It is possible that is what you have, frost damage.

o

Awww sounds like your sweet old pup is not guilty! We have a great dane & he can really ruin some leaves!

o

OK - let's say it's NOT frost damage (it could be but . . . ) is this something that could look like a fungus or anything??

o

so you want us to rule out a logical answer.. and speculate ad naseum??

ok.. martians ...

ken ... lol

o

Well, the last time we got to 34 degrees was May 24th. Would it take that long for frost damage to show up? Everything was vibrant green up to 9 days ago.

Just sayin.

the only time I have seen this "look" was with frost damage on annuals but I've only been an active gardener for 5 years so . . . .

o

frost and freeze.. causes individual cell walls to fail..

and if it is rather minor .. rather than total collapse.. the plant can just sit there for quite a few days ... especially.. if the ambient temps are rather cool ...

then one day.. the temps spike.. and all of a sudden .. the leaves desiccate [lose water] .. and brown in a matter of one day.. and the mystery starts ...

and in my case.. its been so long since the cold snap.. i am left scratching my head as to when the damage actually happened ...

just understand.. that it need not have happened.. the night before ...the fact that it was cold on the 24th.. and you posted on the 28th.. confirms the diagnosis.. IMHO.. it does NOT.. as you seem to think.. rule it out because it was so far back in time ...

maybe you old pooch has discovered hovering ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here