Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticcottage

Why that little! Red Squirrels.

eclecticcottage
10 years ago

DH looked out the window yesterday just in time to see a red squirrel make off with a blue berry blossom. Well, that explains what happened to the flowers on a few of the bushes this year! Sometime over winter a red squirrel began appearing at the neighbor's bird feeder and sitting on our wood stacks. DH thought he/she was cute. I told him my grandmother used to keep a .22 by the back door to shoot them with because they are destructive. Now he agrees with grandma! However, we aren't really in a place to go shooting it with a .22, at least if the neighbors are home (there's no one behind us, but I can imagine them having a bit of a problem with gunfire lol). I've never seen more than one of them, leading me to believe there might only be one. I'm between a quick dispatch (ie trap) or trying to keep it away from the food bearing plants-this might be tough though, we have a lot of shrubs and trees as well as regular garden beds. I am thinking reds are worse than grays and it won't be deterred long anyway. Has anyone trapped reds before? I don't want to accidently trap anything else (ok, I wouldn't be sad if I took out a few field mice, I'll admit it) since I really don't have issues with most other critters (the chipmonks eat the seed heads off bacholors buttons...so I don't plant them anymore and the starlings won't stop trying nest EVERYWHERE, and the field mice try to eat some plants and invade structures, but that's living out here). Is there a good way to target red squirrels?

Comment (1)