Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyhusker80

Japanese Umbrella Pine help...

kyhusker80
9 years ago

I have recently planted a Japanese Umbrella Pine 2 weeks ago and it looks to be in pretty bad shape. The needles are turning reddish brown on all sides. I feel like I prepared the space properly--it drains well and is comprised of a good mix of top soil, manure, peet, garden soil, and some starter plant food, but I'm not sure if the soil needs more acidity.
It's full sun with no wind protection, but it hasn't been too windy and we've gotten a few inches of rain. I've considered shock from the transplant but really I have no idea so now I'm here. :)
I've included a pic and would appreciate any help and insight!
Thanks,
Bryan

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if you had asked.. prior to planting.. in the conifer forum ...

we would have suggested no hole amending.. no fert thrown in the hole ...

and we would have asked you about your native soil ... in regard to drainage issues ...

and we would have offered the planting guide at the link ...

it is definitely transplant shock.. or poor stock to begin with ... or improper watering since.. or frost/freeze ... or all of the above ...

frankly.. i dont understand how it could look that bad.. inside a few weeks... unless there were problems prior to your buying it ... in the coolness of srping.. stuff usually doenst happen that fast on conifers ....

and i cant see any bud elongation .. on this pic.. and that aint good ...

talk with your seller.. to see if he has had other stock issues ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• kyhusker80
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I appreciate your response. My mother in law took care of the tree for 2 years in the pot with no problems... Things just deteriorated quickly once planted.
    Do you have any suggestions at this stage in the process, or do you think it is too late.
    Thanks

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Short of water in the original rootball.
    Drizzle water on top of the rootball then cross your fingers.
    2 years in a pot didn't do it any favors -- likely rootbound when it went into the ground.

Gardening is a live-and-learn sort of thing.
    Now that you're aware of the general guidelines, you might consider starting over.

• kyhusker80
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I appreciate your response. My mother in law took care of the tree for 2 years in the pot with no problems... Things just deteriorated quickly once planted.
    Do you have any suggestions at this stage in the process, or do you think it is too late.
    Thanks

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Things just deteriorated quickly once planted because the root are restricted to the rootball.
    The top ran short of water.
    Thus, what most folks cal "transplant shock." Which, in fact, is a water shortage in the top of the plant because the roots aren't up to par.

• toottee (6b)
    8 years ago

• toottee (6b)
    8 years ago

I have a similar story. I learned after planting how hard it is for these trees to root.

It has been in the ground now for a year, and appears to be finally rooting, but 95% of the tree is dead. Temperatures in Virginia have been noticeably unpredictable in the past few years (concerning many) and the winter after planting was colder than normal.

Should I cut down to the only alive branch or give up and start with a new tree?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

hey toots ... get rid of it ... put it out of YOUR misery ...

i see no indication it is finally rooting ... and suspect.. it might give up the ghost completely in teh heat of summer ... feel free to wait and find out ...

if you left those few buds... it will be going on 6 years.. before it looks anything like what you started with ...

be done with it ..

ken

• toottee (6b)
    8 years ago

Ha! Yes, I'm sure it's year of life with me has been much more painful on me.

• C M
    3 years ago

I’m having the same issues with my Japanese umbrella pine. Is it true that when the needles turn reddish brown the tree is preparing for new growth?

• zabou58
    3 years ago

My umbrella pine was transplanted early in the summer and was doing fine but now the top seems all brown. I have been watering it every few days. Will try to attach a picture. Suggestions appreciaged ( Ismcd@Me.com) thanks so much

• Shauna Leonard
    3 years ago

They do lose most of their needles when preparing for new growth in the Spring. You will be able to see their little new growth buds.