Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleyera (Ternstroemia gymnanthera) disease...

Posted by bobbi_p z8/9 Cypress, TX (My Page) on
Thu, May 13, 10 at 12:28

Everything I've read this morning indicates these shrubs are pest/disease free with the exception of occasional scale.

I have a row at the back of my front foundation plantings. In front of them, Indian Hawthornes (Rhaphiolepis indica) appear fine. (When we purchased this house, I was prepared to deal with their notorious problems with fungal disease. I'm pretty sure the building landscaper didn't take the time to ensure he'd planted a fungus resistant variety.)

When the 1st 2 shrubs lost a brach each (next to each other) a couple of weeks ago, I delicately asked hubby if he'd gotten them with Round-up, which he emphatically denies!

This morning, a visual check indicates I have a 3rd shrub suffering...

But.... these are supposed to be disease-"free" shrubs. Can you take a look at my photobucket album with notes/comments and render your opinions? Is this fungal and is it a losing battle?

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/bendpierson/Cleyera Disease/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleyera (Ternstroemia gymnanthera) disease...

Hi,
I came across your post and was wondering if you found out what was causing the die-back? I am having the same problem. I planted 20 cleyeras in a row in April-10, and they all seamed to be growing, some more than a foot over the summer. Than in September I lost one, and I just saw another one starting to lose one branch. The two plants aren't even next to each other.
Were you able to save your plants? I'll appreciate your comments.

Cheers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here