Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rakin_gw

Need to get rid of ticks fast!

rakin
10 years ago

My backyard seems to have an infestation problem. (probably the front yard does too, but we spend most of our time in the back). Our house was newly built last year, so the land was pretty well grown up with high grass, leaf litter, ect prior to clearing it, and although we are in an established subdivision, each house in on at least 1 acre with wooded areas in between. The subdivision is next to a lake and deer abound. The wooded areas are not over grown with brush, and are relatively clean, but it is a wooded area and has the typical leaf litter and dead branches. I can't do anything within the wooded area as far as chemicals because of the wild life. But my lawn is very well maintained. The back is fenced to keep the deer out.
Just to describe my property a bit. The house sits up on a hill, so the front and north sides are sloped. The woods are at the north and back of the property. The south side has a concrete drive that runs from the front to the back (garage at back). The back is a courtyard type setting with a terraced retaining wall (6 and 4 feet high) running the entire length at the back. There is a pool in the center of the yard. On either side of the pool is lawn. Both areas of lawn are small. The left side is approximately 5x15 feet ( a small area for my small dog). It bumps up to the back of the garage and has pool decking to the left, driveway to the right. There is a concrete walkway that connects the pool area to the driveway, and next to that is the retaining wall which has about 6 feet of landscaping in front of it. I say all of that to clearly explain how the lawn area is so completely separated from the woods or any other tick loving spots.
The other side of the back is similar, although slightly bigger and does eventually bump into the woods. It is a small area of lawn on the other side of the pool. It also has the retailing wall with landscaping at its back and house at its front. There is a flag stone walk way that lead from the pool through the lawn and out the other side of the fence to the pool equipment.
Several times I have seen a tick crawling across the flag stones or the pool deck. Yesterday, I was standing in the beds and felt one crawling up my leg. I thought that ticks did not like concrete or stones. Were they already here just waiting to come out, or do you think that maybe they arrived in the mulch?
Now the big question.......... How can I get rid of them fast? Up until now, I have had no chemical allowed in the back yard. Although I have a lawn treatment company regular tend to the front and side areas, I have strict rules for treatments in the back. It is a small area and I feel that I can manage fine organically back there. But now, I think that I just can't take the chance on one of my kids getting bit by a tick. Also, I have never used flea or tick treatments on my dogs, and so far they have never had a single flea or tick. But I can see that it is just a matter of time in this new area before they get one. I would prefer to treat the lawn than them. So what can I use? What steps do I need to take to insure safety to my pets and kids during treatment? And is there a way to prevent ticks in the future with a less harsh method? Please help!

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

at your level of anxiety ... talk with a professional ... the lawn care guys i mean ... lol

it seems way beyond your level of knowledge.. get it done right.. the first time ...

this is a prefect example of when organic holistic treatments.. meets reality ...

also talk with your vet ...

and i hope your ID is spot on ... if not your vet, the lawn guys can insure you are dealing properly.. with the specific threat ...

i used to be a chemical warrior.. i had hundreds of roses and fruit trees ..... there was no other way ... but the kids came along.. and i rarely if ever now resort to chems...

but when the plagues threaten my happy home and children.. i have no qualms going full bore nuclear war ... its us or them.. and life aint no disney movie .. bugs are not cute.. they carry disease ... and they can all die a grizzly death [thank God we arent dealing with bears .. lol]

go for it...

ken

• User
    10 years ago

Out of curiosity I would ask what kind of fence do you have that keeps deer out of your yard?

As an aside, for years I used Frontline Topside Plus as an ant-tick topical on my (English) Bulldogs.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sat, May 10, 14 at 14:29

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Rakin, you are protecting your dogs against heartworm, aren't you? You should research the many different diseases and parasites that are commonly transmitted to dogs by fleas and ticks.

The ticks are strolling around on the hard surfaces because they need to get closer to where the warm blooded animals (human and canine) are.

Use the powers of the internet to research the different cultural and chemical methods you can use to protect everybody. It's essential that you educate yourself so that your lawn guys don't turn your back yard into a toxic dump.

That being said, you're to have to treat the area with something. I also suggest that you make liberal use of a safe repellent. Be very cautious about exposing youngsters to DEET.

• rakin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken_adrian, I agree. My kids are more important than anything. Mostly I keep the back area chemical free because 1 child and 1 dog seem to have reactions to everything. This way I have not had to deal with rashes.

Saltydawg, I have a wrought iron fence 6 ft high on the sides, and 4 ft on top of the 6 ft high retaining wall. No deer can get in unless they bring a bolt cutter or a ladder. Lol, I will probably need to start treating my dogs topically, at least a couple times a year, during the active months. I'll look into the frontline.

Rhizo, yes my dogs get heartworm medication monthly. Heartguard brand. I have just never had a need for the flea/tick treatments. Probably because I bathe and groom my girls every two weeks, and their outside area has always been maintained at a small patch of grass and a large patio. Lucky I guess. My vet says it's okay as long as I am able to keep them flea/tick free. And for all of their life, they have been healthy, bug free little beggers. But your right, I need to educate myself on which chemicals are available for this type of problem. I thought I would start here with suggestions. :-)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

I suggest you capture at least one of the critters then take to someone who can verify the ID.

At our Extension Service office, people bring in various insects that they just absolutely *know* are ticks. But aren't.

Find your county's Extension Service office with this interactive map:
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: Locate your county's Extension Service office