Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lis2180

Leaves dieing HELP!

lis2180
10 years ago

This is my first year growing, i live in south florida. A few weeks ago i noticed that my sunflower plants leaves started to brown and dry up and die, starting with the oldest leaves, i thought i was normal since the plant was getting big, i thought it was just dropping the oldest leaves, But it wouldn't stop and i had to clip most of the leaves off. Then my squash started to yellow starting with the oldest leaves and browning on the edges, right now it's just one leaf on each plant, and a few days ago I notice my cucumber plant is doing the same thing. Whats happening? To give you a overview, when I first started noticing I just sprayed a organic pest control on the plants and about a hour later it started to rain heavily. The sunflower leaves had large blotchy spots on it, I thought it was the pest spray, but the next day the leaves started to brown and turn papery and die within the week. I made sure the spray was safe for the plants and read the directions. There other 2 plants didn't show that symptom though, they just started to yellow and brown and turn papery, but a lot slower than the sunflowers. I make sure I don't over water them or underwater them either. I used fish fertilzer once, a month ago, i didn't do it again because the soil I bought said it feeds them up to 3 months, and I was worried about over fertilzing. everything I use is organic. Please help me, I don't want to lose my plants. I posted a picture of each leaf of the infected plants, from left to right is squash, sunflower, cucumber. I wish i can post more photos but it would only let me post one. If you want more photos let me know

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

please never treat for bugs again .... w/o actually finding a bug ....

no bugs make the leaves look like this ...

organic or not.. that was pollution.. defined as using something that wasnt necessary ...

unless i missed it.. how long after transplant ;.. i suspect transplant shock .. and i will bet its the oldest or lowest leaves.. sacrificed to to said shock ... life is in the terminal buds.. and if those look fine.. they will get over the shock ... if you quit drenching them with stuff ....

good thoughts on not fert'ing again ...

you have the worst newbie syndrome there is.. its called ... LOVING THEM TO DEATH....

water properly.. and hope for the best.. and if it doenst work out.. so be it.. you will kill some plants.. just like we all have done for decades ... its just not that big a deal ...

and if they die.. go buy another batch.. and ask us how to plant them in advance ... you didnt happen to plant them on a nice sun shiny z9 day ????

good luck

ken

• lis2180
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I put the Safe brand pest control because there was pest, and soap alone wasn't doing it. I have to say though I only needed one spray from that pest control and they were all gone. I don't over water it, I check the soil first to make sure it needs it, it's usually every 3 days sometimes 2, and I make sure not to water the leaves. They all were direct sow, also.

• lis2180
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The plants looks healthy, constantly growing, they're not wilting or anything, it's just this thing that's creeping up on my plants and taking the leaves

• calliope
    10 years ago

Your sunflowers and plants in that ilk will get black leaves if they ever go too dry. I used to grow them in pots and it was a constant concern for me when the heat hit. Coneflowers and rudbeckias do the same thing. My beds of Goldsturms often get the black leaves toward the bottom and it's from moisture being trapped there. So, it can be an environmental issue in either extreme. The yellow leaf on the left looks normal to me, and just senile. The one on the right, looks like a part of the leaf where it touched the ground and just bit the dust where it touched. That's pretty normal too. I do see some leaf miner damage on it, but that didn't make the discoloration.

• lis2180
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. So should I water the Sun flowers more or keep them in shade?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I would water them less, as much sun as possible. Are they in pots?

• lis2180
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes they are in pots, storage container actually. How many times a week should they be watered?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

When the soil has dried out, just before the plants wilt. Impossible to say more specifically... depends on the size of the pot, size of plants, amount of sun, ambient humidity, potting mix used... Is there a hole in the bottom for excess water to escape?