Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something attacking my crepe myrtles

Posted by hindesite Zone 7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 13:26

I have uploaded pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/hindesite/BugsOnCrepes

These small white spots are on two of my healthiest crepe myrtles. When I mess with them, nothing seems alive, and under the white it is some redish substance. What ever it is (scales?), I suspect it is sucking the sap. I have already applied a natural oil type killer. It warned about the plants being well hydrated and about the temperature at application, and stuff about reacting with sulphur - all that is good.

You will also notice some lighter colored areas about the size of 1/2 dollars on the trunks - related? The other crepe has that too.

Danny Hindes,
hindesite

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something attacking my crape myrtles

The white things appear to be one of the cottony scale insects, of which there are several species. Most of us are familiar with the cottony cushion scale. I'd need a closer image to help you find out which of the species it might be.

The spots on the trunk look like one of the common lichens (harmless) that can be found on the trunks and branches of all kinds of trees and shrubs. Yours looks just like what I've seen on many Crape myrtles.

Keep up with the scale insects. The red stuff inside of the white stuff (technical, huh?) are eggs. Attached is a link to a close-up you'll be interested in.

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here