Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something digging under my garden?

Posted by IowaHeirlooms Iowa (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 13:39

I have a 10x20 vegetable garden plot. I planted some lettuce & spinach about a month ago, so there are a few seedlings, but it's mostly just dirt (waiting to plant the rest until later this month). There is something digging under the dirt - the only evidence are mounds of dirt. When I step on them they compact back down. How can I figure out what it is, and what to do about it?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something digging under my garden?

Moles come to mind right off and although their tunneling can uproot plants they do not eat them. Moles primary source of food are earthworms, which is an indication of a healthy soil. Gophers also will tunnel, but you will find entry and exit holes in those tunnels that will not be there if it is moles. Gophers will eat your plants as will voles, Field mice, that will use the tunnels of others. The most effective means of control is a good, tight fence around the garden with some of the buried at least 1 foot deep with a leg, at least 1 foot long pointing outward from the garden, a backwards "L".
There are numerous poisons that have varying degrees of success as well as various repellants that have varying degrees of succes, all of which can be very expensive to purchase.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here