Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19762671

Bug ID?

User
11 years ago

This is actually two problems I'm having:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100513786221494341319/GardenInsects?authuser=0amp;authkey=Gv1sRgCIfehJG8_Y39Yw&feat=directlink

The above link goes to some insects that I found on our sago palm and my squash plants. They don't seem to be hurting either one but they cluster in such large numbers I thought I would ask.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100513786221494341319/HouseBugs?authuser=0amp;authkey=Gv1sRgCLe018THktLSXg&feat=directlink

This other link is to some insects we found coming out from behind the microwave. They look like baby roaches but I'm not sure. I've never seen anything similiar to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

The first group of images are of Leaf Footed Bugs in many stages of development. All of the reddish ones are the nymphs (babies) and the one gray/brown insect seen is an adult. Leaf footed bugs are indeed pests. You don't notice the damage because they don't tear big holes or notches in the leaves. Rather, they insert tiny little needle-like mouthparts and suck plant juices out. If you have enough of them on your plants, you will be able to see evidence of decline, wilting, and even death of leaves. Get after the nymphs now....they can't fly. Some direct hits of insecticidal soap on those nymphs will probably do them in. Read and follow the directions on the label.

The other images are simply too blurry for an accurate identification, at least from me. But baby cockroaches are a definite possibility, a very good possibility. Some roach species will get inside the guts of an electrical appliance and chew away at what ever they find in there. Have you seen any adult roaches hanging around, especially at night?

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I haven't seen any adult roaches in a couple weeks. I see one about once a month or so. My wife thinks that a roach had a bunch of babies behind the microwave and were going to have an infestation of huge roaches soon. We have one of those microwaves above the oven. We only seen the little ones come out when the oven/stove is in use. I imagine its because it gets hot.

Thanks for the ID on the first one, I'll read up on them. I'm glad they're not the squash bugs I hear about. I have noticed some baby squash withering. I'm pretty sure they're being pollinated because I've never had a problem with that. I have a zucchini in another spot that's getting big and I don't see bugs on them.

• jimr36
    11 years ago

The first group all look like leaf-footed bugs, mostly young ones (nymphs). Image 4 is interesting as showing a hybrid youth/adult stage. They've shown up from time to time on tomatoes where I am.

Not sure what the others are. They don't look like roaches. I'd recommend sending Image 4 to BugGuide for help. Make sure to crop the image first though; just around the bug (no extra "margin").

• shortchange_grow
    11 years ago

I'm in Vancouver, WA and found these beetles eating a coreopsis. They look like ladybugs except pale with black or greenish stripes. (I can't figure out how to attach a picture).