Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arborvitae had a tough winter !

Posted by bosgal 6, MA (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 14:17

Does anyone have an tips for helping our poor Arborvitae along?
They wintered over poorly and have lost all of their bottom greenery! i am worried that we will lose them after such a difficult winter!

Should i treat with anytng? i have Hollytone and know that it can be good for evergreens, but NOT sure whether something has caused the trees to look so "stressed." I am giving Hollytone to them today.

Thanks for the assistance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arborvitae had a tough winter !

An even cut like that on all plants looks like rabbit damage. Appears as though they bit the outer green off and left the dead inner parts. Not much to do but to wait and see if any of what's left will bud out, but it doesn't look good.

tj

o

Thanks for the reply! So, you don't think its a disease? Just a very hungry rabbit? This makes sense as we do have a family of rabbits that successfully consumed all of my tulips to the ground, before ANY of them had a chance to bloom this year.
(sigh)
:(

o

the local golf course wraps them to avoid deer browsing which looks the same ... but a bit higher ...

it wont matter what you do to them.. if you dont solve the vermin problem ...

and it will take years for them to recover .... so dont go expecting some miracle this summer ...

ken

o

Last fall I admired all the arborvitae in Maine, they grow like weeds up there. I was told you couldn't kill them. Not true!

As long as you have a lot of rain and they are in full sun they do ok in area 6 but I really don't think they are meant for our climate. I have almost 100 of them in my yard here so I have my problems too. I hope the bottom of your trees fill out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here