Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown fungus (stemonitis slime mold) in herb planter

Posted by Dorothy0220 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 14:19

Help! This brown fuzzy fungus has appeared since yesterday on my herb planters. I've ID'ed it as brown stemonitis slime mold, and I see it appears on decaying wood and it's harmless UNLESS EATEN. Great, since it's on my herbs that get EATEN!!! It's on the edge of the planter, on three of the herbs, and all over the soil too.
How do I get rid of it???
A little background, it's in cedar planters that were replaned and finished (in a food-safe finish) from old raised beds and planted in miracle gro potting soil. We just had two days of rain here in Atlanta after a blasting hot sunny week prior.
Please, please, please, no comments as to how cool the mold is. Every other thread I've read across the internet gets sidetracked as soon as someone mentions that. I just want to get rid of it. Science discussions later, please! :-)
Thanks!

This post was edited by Dorothy0220 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 14:35

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown fungus (stemonitis slime mold) in herb planter

Here's a close-up of it on the chamomile.

o

Rinse it off the plants, slime molds don't infect plant tissues. Then, physically remove it from the soil and any other surfaces. Perhaps a moist cloth with some peroxide or vinegar might help (on the wood, not the plants) .

But there's no magic treatment for slime molds because they are not considered a problem in any category but aesthetics. Not a mold, not a fungus, not a pest. Those who don't like their appearance should simply physically remove them.

BUT! I've just gotta say it......it's pretty darned unique stuff, as far as slime molds go. Very cool. :-)

o

rhizo_1,
Thanks so much for the input as well as your restraint! 😉 Now that I know how to get rid of it (or not, as the case may be), feel free to wax poetic about the beauty and coolness of this slime mold! Who knew?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here