Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krzjaz11703

Grape berry moth

krzjaz11703
9 years ago

Help
no luck against grape berry moth cleaning up never stops the grape berry moth, any suggestions on how to deal with it? What repels it? What kills it?

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

how can you have so specifically researched the moth ... but cant find info on eradication??? ... see link

on what plant are you having a problem??? .. yeah i know.. it sorta goes without saying.. but just checking the fax maam ...

you might find fruit experts.. in the fruit forum .... who have actually battle this nemesis ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

You need to let your local Cornell Extension experts help you witb this. At the very least, spend some time with the considerable amount of Cornell produced research based fact sheets available on line.

• krzjaz11703
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I did research, but I prefer to avoid pesticides if there is a safe natural alternative such as specific nematodes, or companion plant to repel them. Sorry kinda thought the whole "grape" part of grape berry moth would have, well, given that away. Again, the grape berry moth is on the grapes, laying eggs that hatch into larva that eat the grape from the inside out. Thought those fax may help you understand the problem..... mista.....and yes I did search the fruit forum and garden web search didn't show any posts.

• krzjaz11703
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the Cornell Extension suggestion, they are a wonderful resource. I am awaiting a reply from them. I hope they have a safe solution, prefer to stay away from pesticides if I can.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Nematodes nor companion planting will work for these pests.

Since you say that you've been persistant about cleaning up fallen leaves (an essential step), then it's possible that they are coming from nearby vines.

Be sure that you tell the Cornell people know that you are only interested in 'organic' measures. Other than the removal of fallen leaves, there are probably organic chemicals that are listed for this pest.

I'd think that Dipel (liquid Bt-K) would be effective in the control of these little caterpillars. It's a product used by organic growers and would be an important one to try, I would think. The extension people can help with the appropriate timing of the sprays.