Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape berry moth

Posted by krzjaz11703 6b or 7 LI NY (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 14:27

Help
no luck against grape berry moth cleaning up never stops the grape berry moth, any suggestions on how to deal with it? What repels it? What kills it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape berry moth

how can you have so specifically researched the moth ... but cant find info on eradication??? ... see link

on what plant are you having a problem??? .. yeah i know.. it sorta goes without saying.. but just checking the fax maam ...

you might find fruit experts.. in the fruit forum .... who have actually battle this nemesis ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

You need to let your local Cornell Extension experts help you witb this. At the very least, spend some time with the considerable amount of Cornell produced research based fact sheets available on line.

o

Yes, I did research, but I prefer to avoid pesticides if there is a safe natural alternative such as specific nematodes, or companion plant to repel them. Sorry kinda thought the whole "grape" part of grape berry moth would have, well, given that away. Again, the grape berry moth is on the grapes, laying eggs that hatch into larva that eat the grape from the inside out. Thought those fax may help you understand the problem..... mista.....and yes I did search the fruit forum and garden web search didn't show any posts.

o

Thank you for the Cornell Extension suggestion, they are a wonderful resource. I am awaiting a reply from them. I hope they have a safe solution, prefer to stay away from pesticides if I can.

o

Nematodes nor companion planting will work for these pests.

Since you say that you've been persistant about cleaning up fallen leaves (an essential step), then it's possible that they are coming from nearby vines.

Be sure that you tell the Cornell people know that you are only interested in 'organic' measures. Other than the removal of fallen leaves, there are probably organic chemicals that are listed for this pest.

I'd think that Dipel (liquid Bt-K) would be effective in the control of these little caterpillars. It's a product used by organic growers and would be an important one to try, I would think. The extension people can help with the appropriate timing of the sprays.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here