Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachelpa_gw

why is my hydrangea drying up??? pics!

rachelpa
13 years ago

Hello,

I have a hydrangea, it's 4 years old. Usually, I don't touch it at all and it looks great. It just does its thing. It grows every year, blooms, big green leaves...I love it. It's beautiful.

Last week I looked at it and there were lots of green leaves at the bottom, and starting to grow out of the stems. TODAY I looked at it, and it looks like it's just shriveling up! I have no idea what happened. The only thing I can think of, is that:

- it's been raining a lot lately

- I put coffee grounds around the bottom a few weeks ago

I didn't think that either of those things were harmful. Can anyone help me? what's going on here???

Thanks,

Rachel (western pa)

Here is a link that might be useful: hydrangea pics

Comments (4)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Has the ground around the plant been disturbed? Moles will dig through the roots and sometimes cause this problem. If so then pack the soil down around the plant.

• ginkgonut
    13 years ago

Frost damage?

• anitamo
    13 years ago

That's what I'm thinking, too. Frost damage.

• rachelpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, frost damage. I think you're right! That makes so much sense. It was almost summery here for a while, and then the temps plummeted to the 30's-40's for a week or so. Gotta love western pa. I never even thought about what it would do to my plants. (Can you tell I'm not really much of a gardener?) :) Thanks!