Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shumard Oak disease

Posted by houstonpat 9a (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 15:27

I planted several 30 gallon Shumard Oaks last spring both at work and at home near Houston, TX. By mid summer I noticed the trunks looking like the upper photo. I have treated them with Aluminum tris (O-ethyl phosphonate) 80% AKA Phosphite. They now look like the lower photo or worse.
Does anyone know what disease is at work here and what the prognosis for these trees are?

photo Sumardtrunkb_zpsec7c4c39.jpg

photo newoaktrunk_zpsc9fe1239.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shumard Oak disease

Have you talked with the people at your local office of the Texas A & M Cooperative Extension Service? If not they are in the best position to answer your questions.

o
RE: Shumard Oak disease

Reply on another site diagnosis is "Slime Flux". More of a symptom than outright cause. Consan, available to the public, is recommended to treat these symptoms. And of course, maintaining very good growing conditions reduce the causes of several injuries to the bark that set up conditions favorable to slime flux. In my case, "sun scald" may have been the original injury.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here