Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Jelly like substance

Posted by Lynniepoo Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 15:34

WHAT IS THIS JELLY GROWING IN MY YARD!!!! It is thick and dense. It is gross.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Jelly like substance

While I am sure there is some 'earthly' explanation for this type of growth, here is an article from the UK that suggests that this 'thing' has often been found at or near meteor strikes... Good luck, and keep us posted on its development!

Here is a link that might be useful: UK news article

o

Or...a variation on a theme of slime mold.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Star Jelly

o

I did see the UK article and also researched Slim mold. I think it resembles the substance in the UK article. It is sticky and when I picked up a piece larger than in photo I posted with a shovel, it was solid. I will keep you posted.

Thank you both for the input. Let me know if you learn anything new! Maybe its a different form of Kryptonite. Ha! Ha!

o

Lynnie -- how bizarre! I'd be wigging out, haha. Are you keeping it there or removing it? I'm so curious what that this....did your area report any meteors?

I love this kind of stuff! (So long as it's a good distance from my house, haha.)

Do keep us posted if you are looking into it!

Grace

o

I watched a slime mold grow in my yard. It changed color and form as it grew. It was decomposing a tree stump. They're decomposers of what's under them...leaves, etc. After a while it died and turned crusty and blended in with the rest of the landscape. Enjoy the show!

o

could it be a gummosis.. falling out of the trees above???

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here