Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cornmeal for Ants - Have You Tried It?

Posted by goldenecho Z8 (Waco TX) (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 15:42

Have you all tried cornmeal for ants? Does it work? How long does it usually take, and do you need to keep adding more cornmeal?

I have ants in my veggie bed. They may be fire ants (no mound yet, so maybe not, but I don't want them there regardless). Don't want to use my usual boiling water and digging method because that will kill my veggies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cornmeal for Ants - Have You Tried It?

Worry about fire ants. Don't worry about other ants. Any effective pesticide is likely to show up in your veg anyway.

Corn meal sounds to me like Ant-ish for "dinner".

Dennis

o
RE: Cornmeal for Ants - Have You Tried It?

According to those that espouse using corn meal, or grits, to help control ants the ants eat the meal and then drink something which causes the meal inside them to swell up and the ants then explode. For those that do not grasp the role ants play in our world that may sound pretty good but it simply does not happen. This is one of the many myths about ant control out there.
Texas A & M has done much research on fire ants and about every web site out there about fire ants uses the information they have developed.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Fire Ants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here