Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it voles?

Posted by novice_2009 zone 6b (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 16:06

I've had trouble with moles before. Well, I still do, but a piece of garlic in their runs usually keeps them away from the garden.
Now I've got a critter of a different type, I think might be a vole. I'm hoping somebody on this forum can tell me if it is, and what to do about it.
Starting in early winter of last year, I started noticing little holes in my flower beds, and plant roots eaten. They are small, round holes, usually at the edge of the bed, on the outside, or close to the house. They ate some bulbs, and the roots of two plants. They are still around, and although I'm guessing their food supply is better now, they are still making little holes and messing up areas of my beds. I have seeds to plant, and don't want them to make their homes here.
Is this voles? How do I run them off? Don't have tomcat...the last one died. Maybe that's why I now have this new problem. Somebody please help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it voles?

It could be Voles, Field Mice. Of course the only way to know for sure is to trap one and properly identify it.

o

Thanks kimmsr. I'm pretty sure that's what they are. I tried a pelleted castor oil product, but it didn't seem to work at all.
As much as I don't want to, I'm going to set out a few mousetraps baited with apple slices. I'm not sure this is going to help my problem, as they breed like crazy, and will move from one location to another. Covering up their little holes doesn't help, they move on and make others.
I cut back my red clover and alfalfa to "expose" them more...once again, didn't help.
Thanks for your response tho!!!!

o

Set out mousetraps, didn't catch anything. I'm wondering if their food supply is so abundant right now they won't go for the bait, or are these guys too smart for traps?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here