Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whitish spots on runner bean leaves

Posted by YesMaybe none (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 16:37

Hi folks.

I scattered some runner beans along a fence and they started out well, but now they've developed something which looks like a disease to me, but could be anything as far as I know. At first it looks like discolored spots on the top which then turn more towards white and spread until the leaf is pretty much destroyed. I'm including one picture here of what it looks like when it gets really bad, in the hope that someone could help me identify it. I can post more pictures if it'd be helpful. I thought maybe it's halo blight, but it didn't look quite like pictures I'd seen online.

Thanks!

Image link: Whitish spots on runner bean leaves (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whitish spots on runner bean leaves

Here is a link with a few other pictures...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

o

Leafminers. VEry busy ones.

Remove the heavily affected leaves if you haven't already done so because they lack sufficient green to be of value.

They're young insects that live & feed between the layers of the leaf. The white is where they have destroyed the cells filled with chlorophyll.

Next step is to check the plants daily and, when you see the first inkling of white, to examine the leaf closely, find the slightly dark spot, then squish between your fingers.

o

Thanks, much appreciated!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here