Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smedfam

Can someone ID this worm?

smedfam
11 years ago

I noticed that my zinnia leaf looked bad but when I looked under it a few days ago, there was nothing. I checked again today and found a huge host of these. (Picture below) They were on two other leaves but in small numbers. I pulled this leaf off so I could take pictures and manually removed the bugs off the other leaves.

Any idea what they are?

I also started looking under other leaves in my cutting and vegetable garden and found all sorts of other creatures. LOL! White eggs, green eggs, eggs on top of eggs, etc. I'm a little overwhelmed. Some of my leaves have been tasted but nothing that has been detrimental to my plants. Everyone is still fruiting/flowering just fine. This is my first successful garden. I guess with success, come bugs. :)

Is there something all purpose I can try? I've seen many dishsoap, oil, water combos. How, where, when do you spray these on? I'm in southeast Texas, if that helps.

Thanks!

Image link:

Comments (11)

• smedfam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I can't get to my 'real ' computer right now so I am unable to see your images on a bigger screen. I can tell you, though, that the damage appears to be that of a sawfly larvae...some of which look just like what I can see on your plant.

Most sawfly larvae are very easily controlled with insecticidal soap applied to the underside of the leaves.

Don't forget that most of the 'livestock ' and eggs that you observe are likely beneficial...a very good indication of a well balanced garden.

• smedfam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks rhizo!

I was wondering if I really need to do much beyond "soaping" the sawfly larvae. I didn't word that well in my initial post. Since everyone seems happy, besides these few leaves, should I worry about treating everyone?

• smedfam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Please excuse my insanity but any chance these sawfly larvae are related to Scolia nobilitata or some variety there within?

I have had a swarm (though not the actual word I want to use) of these (at least I think that is what these are) in my backyard. I attempted to take pictures but the flight is so low and quick, that I couldn't get up close shots. I got two decent pictures and from the looks, I'm guessing I have S. nobilitata. It appears that they are sawflies. LOL!

I think I've come full circle. I spent a lot of time making sure that we didn't have a yellow jacket outbreak. The sawflies aren't aggressive and other than some leaf eating, appear to be incredibly helpful.

11 years ago

OK, I've been able to look at the larger image and I can't sell myself on the idea that they are sawfly larvae. They might be caterpillar hatchlings, after all. They are just too small to be able to tell, for certain. Regardless, insecticidal soap (not dish detergent) will take care of them.

No, these larva have nothing to do with Scolia nobilitata, a type of true wasp. Sawflies are not true wasps, though some of them look like wasps. And wasp larva don't look like these little things and they don't feed on plants. The wasps can be considered beneficial, but I can't think of any sawfly species that fit that description.

• smedfam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok. LOL! I was so proud of myself.

Thanks for your help. I'll grab some insecticidal soap tomorrow and wash up the leaves on my zinnias.

I'm so fascinated at all the life our garden has brought out. We have so many more butterflies and birds, along with the new insects and such.

11 years ago

Few people really and truly notice all of the activity in their gardens...especially the smallest of participants. You ought to get yourself a nice little field guide! I always recommend The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders, but there are plenty of others out there. Learning about some of the things you see will increase your enthusiasm even more!

• jimr36
    11 years ago

* ARMYWORMS *

I've seen what looks like the exact same caterpillars (in my case, on tomato leaves). They are armyworms. I'm still trying to tell exactly which species, but I'm thinking either yellow-striped armyworms or velvet armyworms.

• jimr36
    11 years ago

P.S. They would be very young armyworms. They change their appearance quite a bit from the very first stage, to the "second" stage (seen in the picture), to their latter stage, which is the most familiar and recognizable to most people. And again, there are a variety of different armyworms and armyworm moths.

• jimr36
    11 years ago

smedfam (original poster) - I just noticed that you're in southeast Texas. We are in the same area. That makes sense that we would encounter similar pests.

11 years ago

Jim might be right on the money. Armyworms seem to be the pest du jour this year.