Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
centralcadad

Experience still failure. Need help

CentralCADad
9 years ago

We added a new garden area and organic mix from the nursery. Tested 6.5 had issues w/using 400w hps light(gien to me). The garden didn't like transplanting after hardening them off. Did a huge phopa and used a weed and feed lawn spray on the yard and no one so far has an answer to help my tomatoes back to health?..HELP PLEASE. I'll include pics it will take afew posts to get them all in. I added no ferts just a mineral treatment of ironite to the new soil. Some turned yellow or yellowing right away then I did the weed spray not on them at all but the grass. Mistake I found I leaf guide and signs of defishentcy and what it is and how to correct it. I kept 3 tomatoes In 10gallon buckets under the lights I used bagged soil and they started yellowing but the main veins of the leafs was still green starting with bottom and younger leaves then solid yellow and dye then some showed brown spots so it's iron or sulfur tried postash nothing gave gen tomatoes fert 5-10-10 @ 1/10 of prescribed and all are now yellowing and appear to be dying. I haven't added nothing to the backyard garden but everything seems to be going into bloom and not veggatation... What can I do?.....?....sorry should have proof read this before I posted

This post was edited by CentralCADad on Thu, May 1, 14 at 17:43

Comments (6)

• CentralCADad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See yellowing

This post was edited by CentralCADad on Thu, May 1, 14 at 17:31

• CentralCADad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May babies are looking real sad gigantics, Cherokee , Paul Robison , black zebra and dogma all special to me can anyone help revive them?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

Did a huge phopa and used a weed and feed lawn spray on the yard

==>> tomato leaf curl is probably related ...

otherwise.. i really dont see anything wrong...

how did you determine they were properly hardened off ...????

how close were the lights in the house ???

how big were they are transplant... ???

if they were properly small.. you have had magnificent growth.. and i wouldnt know what you are complaining about..

if large.. then transplant shock.. and its going to take them time to adjust fully ...

BTW.. that lawn did NOT need a weedkiller on it.. think about it.. there arent any weeds!!! .. so why do that part ????

ken

ps: whats a fhopa???? oh.. faux pas??? .. lol.. i was confused there for a minute.. didnt figure it out.. until i went to type it into google ... lol ... ya.. i think you did ...

• CentralCADad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have kids that love the garden we even used it for Girl Scouts but this yr we expanded and tried new method popping seeds under way to heavy of a lighting system. Prefer heating pads and low flo's. All around the yard the plants citrus trees all reacted to my mistake spraying the lawn w/weed and feed lawn spray. But I seem to be having before and after this yellowing of the plants in different growing mediums??? Here is a leaf off a bush like flowering shrub in front yard, partly shaded. Attached to this post pic..
    I had a N problem with my lemon trees that appeared to be corrected until the spray..even the new tree faded and dropped all it's blooms. I had never seen one with that many blooms, got it that way from nursery . Any way any advice would help

• CentralCADad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They were in ranges from about 10inches for corn and about 7-8in on tomatoes, peppers were small and beans they are showing the yellowing from the day they went into ground. And thank you for your help. I didn't spell check and my mind froze so I went with sounds like and thought I'd get back to ret read and cortex but one 4yr old and two more under ten have me at least running all the time. I work from home and wife works graves, so I have little time so I'm in a panic over how bad they look, they are curling up more and more and generally look bad. The cucumbers squash point straight up into the sky and yellowing. I planted some str8t seed in open spots and there breaking ground.. The beans gourmet and top are yellowing on the outer tips. I thought there must be something element wise that is flowering them instead of veggation stage.. Everything is flowering the peppers are 3-4inches and blooming. Never had anything just transplanted go immediately into flower show signs of over k or lacking something and of course the spray. The entire lawn is blown in crab grass and loaded with weeds, we have to remove the entire top half of the lawn to attempt to remove the crab grass and lay sod.. Out of reach for us..I meant to put on a bug lawn spray because were loaded with flying bugs and aphids tried lady bugs most flew away tried praying mantis they still haven't hatched, used organic soap spray and tested it on a few and they hated it...I hard them by removing domes then slowly keeping them out longer than 3 nights outside then a whole day, then into the soil..so you think it best to just sit it out and wait?..I learned to feel for the heat from light and raise it two more feet, there in the garage little room that has levels shelves had lows flos but went to hps going back

This post was edited by CentralCADad on Thu, May 1, 14 at 20:56

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Possibly the "weed and feed" has had an adverse affect on your plants, it does not take much from drift to cause major problems. However, that soil does not look very good. How much organic matter is there? Signs of life, such as earthworms? Drainage? Levels of Phosphorus, Potash, Calcium, Magnesium, etc.?