Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasbaby_gw

Are these spider mites?

TeXasbaby
11 years ago

I have been noticing my plants have been yellow and the leaves are getting holes in them. At first I thought it was rabbits eating the leaves, but then I found holes in the middle of the leaves. I did some investigating and found these living on the underside of a leaf on my yellow bell plant.

Are these spider mites? If they are, how do I get rid of them. I only have 8 plants in my little plot, so I would rather not throw them all out, but all my plants have some pretty sever leaf damage.

Are they something else?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• lilcee
    11 years ago

They look like aphids to me. I have them all over my peas. I sprayed them with insecticidal soap. Too soon to tell if it worked.

• TeXasbaby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, I looked up aphids and they look exactly the same to me. I will spray them and see how that does. Hopefully they are the root cause of my leaf problem and my yellow plant problem.

• TeXasbaby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Are the aphids causing the black lines and "scaling" on the stem or is that something else that I am causing?

• calliope
    11 years ago

Neither aphids nor spider mites can cause holes on your plants, their mouthparts are not capable. But yeah, those in the picture are aphids. Sider mites, btw, are so tiny you can barely see them with the naked eye.

• TeXasbaby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The reason I originally thought spider mites is because I would see little red specks moving around on the underside of my leaves. Not a lot, just one at a time, but they would be on just about every plant. I was trying to take a pic of those when I found the aphids. I also have very little white bugs on the underside of my leaves too. But most of my plants have holes in the leaves. I have never seen caterpillars on any of my plants, and they are really thin, so I can't figure out what is causing it.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Aphids, and maybe something else. The simplest method of control of Aphids is a sharp stream of water to knock them off the plants, which can also help if you have Spider Mites and some other insect pests.
    There are a number of insects, both pests and beneficials, that could be making holes in leaves that do not stick around. It could be slugs making those holes.

• jimr36
    11 years ago

They look like aphids to me too. Blasting them with water only moves them around, and they'll surely crawl back up again, so that really accomplishes nothing.

How about squishing them in-place on the leaf, or putting them in a jar, then squishing all of them?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

"Blasting them with water only moves them around, and they'll surely crawl back up again, so that really accomplishes nothing. "

Not true. Aphids are such soft bodied critters even a spray bottle will do some damage although a hose is more effective. From Colorado State University:

"On shrubs and garden plants, aphids can sometimes be managed by simply washing them off of plants with a forceful jet of water. Hosing plants can lethally injure aphids and very few surviving aphids that are knocked to the ground can successfully find their way back onto their host plant."

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Whole article