Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggydann

sweet potato vine

peggy13
10 years ago

I purchased some Marguerite and Blackie sweet potato vines for my window boxes. However, when I got them home, I saw these tiny holes in the leaves. I called the nursery and they said 'that's how they came in' !!!! Anyway, I checked on the web and they say it 'could' be slugs or beetles. Well, I've spent hours looking at each leaf and NOTHING. However, this morning, I happened to look again and saw 2 tiny winged 'greenish' flies. Could they be mealy bugs by any chance? I didn't know mealy bugs could have wings. Plus, I don't know if this could be the cause of the holes. Can anyone help? H E L P !!
Thanks so much in advance.

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if you spent hours looking at these plants.. and couldnt find anything... there is nothing to treat ...

and 2 flies are also not worth doing anything about.. presumably.. they flew away ...

i suspect.. since they came that way.. that the problem was eradicated prior to shipping ....

i recommend NOTHING ... unless you see NEW!!! damage ...

ken

• peggy13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Ken ....
    Firstly, "spending HOURS" was a bit of stretching the truth ;)!! When I saw the holes, I did examine them to see if I could see anything. BUT, as I said, I DID see a few of the tiny green "flies" I mentioned. That's when I thought it may be mealy bugs. I saw a few more tonight when I looked. I isolated the plants from other plants just in case. (Gosh, you must have thought I had too much time on my hands when you thought I really did spend 'hours' on the leaves .... sorry!) Anyway, if you do have any ideas re these flies and how to get rid of them, I'd appreciate it.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Mealy bugs aren't flies, but look like little puffs of cotton, often located at the branch angles. They don't make holes, either.

If you see holes on your plants, and they were purchased with holes in the leaves, and you don't see an insect on your plant, then I wouldn't be too concerned, either. The majority of insects are not 'pests'....btw. It's a natural event to insects around a plant outside. Use your keen powers of observation down the road to watch for changes of appearance in your plantings. It's OK to really look at your plants close up and personal. It's called scouting and most gardeners don't and they should. You catch things early that way, but don't get too caught up in the insect thing that it makes you paranoid. ;-)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Your "tiny green "flies" may have been aphids. If so,squish them then re-inspect & squish in several days.
    Also if aphids, they didn't make the holes.

Need an image of the holes & plant overall to be more specific. In any event, a few small holes can be ignored.

• peggy13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Calliope and Jean....
    Never thought of 'aphids', but just searched a photo of one and, YEP, that's the 'little bugger'. (I couldn't get a photo of my plants; it's raining like crazy here today).
    I'm a great believer of 'natural means' to get rid of 'bad bugs'; I did spray them with a little Dawn dishwashing soap diluted in water. Got any other ideas for ridding aphids?
    Everything is now growing so beautifully, thank God, that I don't want these little 'guys' to affect anything else nearby.
    Thanks again