Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hornworm- black with yellow stripes

Posted by hunter_tx 7bTx (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 07 at 17:36

Found a large black hornworm with yellow stripes on a tomato plant today. What is it?
Thanks,
Mrs H

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hornworm- black with yellow stripes

Could, possibly, maybe be a Catalpa Sphinx, Abbot's Sphinx, or a really lost Galium Sphinx larva. What is it doing to the tomato, if anything.

o

I was also thinking of a Catalpa worm. Maybe it fell from a Catalpa tree nearby? I have terrible infestations but they don't eat anything besides my Catalpa tree. This is what they look like. They do have a little black horn on their butt that can't be seen in the photo.
Karyn
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

How were the stipes arranged? Like a dark phase of the usual tobacco or tomato hornworm?

o

The stripes are arranged just like a tomato hornworm. It's just that it's black with yellow diagonal stripes instead of green with light green/white stripes. It was eating a tomato plant (foliage). I only have one catalpa, and it's a very small one that I planted from seed- barely 4 ft tall, and nothing has been chomping on it so far. I'll post a pic later. (gotta download it to the computer)
Mrs H

o

If you found it on a tomato plant, and it look just like a tomato(or tobacco) hornworm, other than the color....then it is likely a tomato or tobacco hornworm exhibiting an unusual color expression. In most parts of Texas, the Tobacco hornworm is much more common than the tomato hornworm... so that could be your guy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

o

It looks like the black one, so will the moth coloration be different too?
Thanks, Mrs H

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here