Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this "powdery mildew" or something else?

Posted by Puchinita5 none (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 17:45

I bought a tiny little 2 inch mum from Trader Joe's the a couple weeks ago. There was this white stuff on it and I thought it was just dust or something but it seems to be stuck onto the flower. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. After googling I came across "powdery mildew" which sounds like what it looks like, but from what I have read seems to be only on leaves. My plant, it's just on the stems (see picture). Is this bad? Should I throw it out? Or will it be okay?

I'm also wondering, the flowers quickly died, I'm presuming from a lack of water because the water goes away very quickly in such a small plant. It happened a few times that the flowers would wilt, but after rewatering they would spring back to life, but not this last time so I cut them down. I'm wondering if I repot into a larger pot if maybe the flowers will do better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this "powdery mildew" or something else?

Hmmm looks like my picture didn't post, here it is!

o

It's not powdery mildew, but can't say that I recognize it. Looks kinda like cat hair, doesn't it? :-)

o

It's not powdery mildew, but can't say that I recognize it. Looks kinda like cat hair, doesn't it? :-)

o

Looks like Gray Mold to me. Don't wet the leaves when you water..bottom water only.

o

Not Powdery Mildew for sure although possibly Gray Mold. However, Gray Mold does need quite moist conditions to grow. The simplest way to get rid of this is a good shower and then allow the foliage to dry out and not wet the foliage when watering again.

o

i dont really think of mums as houseplants ... and boy that doesnt look like mum foliage ...

it should probably be outside ... in full shade to harden it off ... and that would probably take care of molds and mildews ... to some extent ...

most likely.. the media is keeping the soil too wet ... and the problem is actually in such.. rather than on the plant ...

PM is a late summer problem when nights stay very warm.. and there is excess humidity in the air ... hence the word MILDEW ... i have never head of such indoors .. and outdoors.. never this early in the season ... of course, subject to where you are ...

and some plants are just hairy... and look like that.. and that is why i am wondering if it really is a mum ... can we have a pic of the plant in general ...

ken

o

That's not a mum, it's a gerbera daisy. Grey mold often does happen where the foliage or stems are close together and it can't air out. It looks like you've trimmed the stems, if the stubs of the old stems are 'squishy' and slimy then it is grey mold and airing it out may stop it. Clean out any of the slimey crud and it should pull out of it fine. The leaves and stems can be tomatose or a little hairy on those btw.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here