Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aphids

Posted by jludman (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 17:49

Angry Face

Angry Face

I'm new to gardening, but I'm guessing these are aphids. They fly away if I put my hand on the leaf.

Is this enough to be concerned about? Maybe I should spray them with hot pepper sauce mix? I don't see any of these on my radishes, but there are some leaves that are a little bit eaten. This pepper is too new to have damage yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aphids

Squish or wash off.

o

The soil is wet enough for peppers jean!
Use something that will actually break the life cycle, like neem.

o

If they fly away when the leaf is touched then they are not Aphids. It is difficult to ID from the picture but they might, possibly, maybe be Flea Beetles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flea Beetles

o

They do kind of look like aphids but i've never known aphids to hang out much on the tops of leaves like that, or move around much, let alone fly. There is a little yellow bug in the first picture that looks a lot like something that i get in my garden sometimes that I think is a globular springtail. They move more quickly than aphids and they even jump, too. They also come in other colors like brown and black and even spotted, so maybe it's a possibility?

o

Not aphids, but can't ID them from the images. Pearsaml's guess is as good any anyone's! I like it because I've never heard of globular springtails before, lol!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here