Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erics11

5-1-1 bark

erics11
9 years ago

Hi everyone, I wanted to double check before I go and buy a truckload if this is the correct bark.:

http://www.theevergreennursery.com/garden-care/bulk-materials/

I'm guessing the Fir Humus is the correct one?

Thanks,
Eric

Comments (11)

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

I as curious so I did a search for completed potting soil in that area, by the yard. If the doc I saw was recent, Davis Street Resource Center has it for $34?

You might call and grill them about what is in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Davis Street

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

The Fir Humus is waaaaay too small. That stuff will be nothing but trouble. If you research the ideal dimensions, you'll get a better idea of what to look for. Perhaps someone who uses this mix will provide some information.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

$34 per cu yd is like $2.50 for a 2 cu ft bag. I would be pretty tempted, if I was in the area and had access to a pickup.

Even if it isn't our preferred style, it might have good references, perhaps from commercial users.

• erics11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

according to the link, the humus is 1/4" to dust.
    would "Fir Bark Mini" 1/4" to 1/2" be better?

the Mini looks kinda large to me in the pictures.

here's a picture of the humus

http://www.theevergreennursery.com/garden-care/bulk-materials/

• erics11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is the Fir Bark mini

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

I am not a 5-1-1 expert, but don't they sieve two ways?

I think I have seen people talking about taking the cut above 1/4 and below 1/2 in size.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

whats 5-1-1???

making your own media???

rhiz is spot on ...

ask yourself what you are adding the bark to the mix for ...

the answer should be.. to provide large pieces of material [as compared to the other components] to add aeration [air flow] .. and water flow.. so as to increase drainage.. while taking up space in the pot to lighten it when wet ...

because yours is so small ... it will decompose really fast ... and within a year... will serve none of the functions above ... thereby having defeated your intention ...

its hard to see a difference.. but i would go with something more like at the link ... or what i can buy in MI that is called mini chunks ...

all that said.. you havent told us your application... so its hard to make further suggestions.. here in the bug/disease clinic ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful:

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Eric, please visit the Container Forum or the Houseplant Forum ASAP. Lots of great people in either of those who use or have knowledge of the 5-1-1 mix. Again, I visited the website and saw the bark options. The humus is absolutely inappropriate. The two larger sizes are more in keeping, but you'll need to put it all through a screen with the correct dimensions.

I use one of the Fafard Heavyweight professional potting mixes, like their Nursery Mix. Conifer bark is the primary ingredient, with peat moss, perlite, and pH adjusted with dolomitic lime. It's not found at the big box stores, but I have never found a privately owned garden center that wasn't happy to either share their own stock or special order for me.

I'm not going to search around for the right bark, screen the bark, measure, etc. when a superb ready made medium comes in a bag. :-)

• erics11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I have been doing a ton of reading over the past few days. Lots of good info here. I'll head over to the container forum and see what else I can find. There are so many sub-forums here. I have several lemon and fig trees in containers that I want to use this in.

This post was edited by erics11 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 12:37

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

The container forum is the best to get info but I use 5-1-1.

1/2" or less is what you want, but a ton of dust is not. A small amount is fine. The 1st pic looks great, but you said it's down to dust, so you'd have to take a look at it to see exactly how much dust. That 2nd pic looks fine too EXCEPT for the incredible amounts of sapwood that you'd have to pick out. A few pieces to pick out is fine, but you don't want to be there for months picking it out.

Kevin

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Agreed. I'd say the Fir Bark Mini is what you want provided that there isn't too much sapwood. What a price!