Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scaring birds away from my patio

Posted by philipw2 7 MD/DC (My Page) on
Sun, May 28, 06 at 18:20

No good deed goes unpunished. All winter I fed birds on my patio. Now they congregate there, even though I have stopped feeding them about a month ago. Defecating on the tables and chairs so we cannot use the place without hosing it down. Especially problematic are grackles I believe. Their feces is just very large and troublesome to remove.

As I said I haven't fed there in a month. So I thought they'd leave. Is there anyway I can actively make their life less pleasant to encourage them to move. Scarecrows? Stuffed owls? Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scaring birds away from my patio

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, May 28, 06 at 18:32

Put the feeders back out, in another location, like your neighbor's patio. ;>)

o

Actually, putting the feeders somewhere else in your yard is a pretty good idea :)

You can try the plastic owls, snakes, a hawk outline on your door (put it up so he looks like he's diving), hang pie ties from the eaves, etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

I think if you do a search of and/or post your question at the birding forum, you might get lots of answers.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: birding forum

o
How to scare the birds away

Just when I thought I had joined EVERY FORUM on the Garden Web I found this one!! Philip there is a product that I found last year that keeps the birds off my awning, and it's safe for the birds and really effective. It actually kept house sparrows from nesting and you know how persistent THEY can be. Anyway, it's called Irritape, and it's a hologram type of ribbon that crackles a bit in the breeze, and is very shiny. I think it's worth a try but of course you would have to move your feeders away if you want to keep feeding and not scare the birds from the feeders. Anyway here is the link I used. I bought the starter kit - it was about 40 dollars and was plenty for my deck area.

http://www.altapower.tv/z_pest/Birdx/Visual/IrriTape.htm

o

Anita has the right idea because that sort of tape has movement which is a lot more affective than a stationary fake owl or snake. Any visual scare device that you use should move in some way, or incorporate holographic designs that appear to move. Otherwise, you may just be giving the birds another place to perch. Definitely remove any food sources that you provide. In addition, there are non-lethal sprays, sticky gels, sonic devices (that sound like predators/bird distress calls etc) that people have successfully used to convince birds they'd find a better home elsewhere. Also, remember that a lot of pest control companies offer free consultations. Don't hesitate to take advantage of such a service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird pest removal FAQs

o

http://www.AbsoluteBirdControl.com has products to keep birds away! They really work. Sometimes you need a combination of products in tandem to be effective. Check them out. They are low cost too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Absolute Bird Control Products

o

I know that this is an old post, but I thought I would add our trick in case someone was searching for this topic. We hang old CDs from our hanging baskets with fishing line. They turn in the breeze and keep the birds off our blueberry bushes.

o

Nice forum, I also had an issue with my back yard and a bunch of different unwanted birds, eating my lawn seed and dirtying my patio.
I tried so many things, plastic owl, CD's tied on strings, hawk outlines, bird balloons etc, and I found that some worked better than others.
I put up a website with my results if you are interested you can follow the link. Scarecrow Vs Birds.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarecrow Vs Birds.com bird scarer reviews.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here