Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery Mildew? Not sure!

Posted by opulido 9b (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 18:53

Greetings,

I’m a newbie gardener, this is my first year and I’d like to seek the advice or an explanation for the following potential issue I have with my zucchini plant. I noticed a white substance growing from the edge of the leaf towards the center of the leaf. I’ve heard of powdery mildew, but from the pictures I’ve seen online, PM is more of a spot-like formation. Anyway, I’m not sure what I have on my zucchinis��"or if it’s normal. I’ve posted a picture, and I’d appreciate a possible explanation from some of the more experienced gardeners here.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery Mildew? Not sure!

I should also note that this plant went into the raised bed two days ago. Before transplant, this white stuff was not present; in fact, I have two other zucchini plants that are the same age but still in their pots without this white stuff present. The night I placed this particular plant into the soil I did water, but was relatively careful not to wet the leaves. Temperatures at night have been mid 50's.

o

More likely environmental stress. Was it hardened off prior to planting? Even if you did, what were the weather conditions following planting -- you know, heat, light, wind, etc.

o

@ Jean001a:

It was hardened off. And as for the weather conditions following transplant: 90 degree weather and very strong winds (30-40 mph).

o

Powdery mildew on cucurbits where I'm at normally doesn't happen until the plants are adults and in the middle of summer when it's hot and humid.

Kevin

o

Powdery Mildew is more a problem when the weather is hot and dry then when hot and humid.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Powdery Mildew

o

Thank you everybody for all the responses!

o

kimmsr: I'm sure UC Davis knows what they're talking about and PM can affect some veggies without humidity-- much like to my snow peas just within the last month. But I deal with it EVERY year and from my experience with cucurbits, it doesn't get bad until it gets humid along with the heat of summer.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here