Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okra: Tiny eggs or just jelly-like secretions?

Posted by vegj MN (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 07 at 19:01

I posted this in the Vegetable forum, but this may be more appropriate.

We're market gardening for the first year, and have a lot of okra seedlings that we just started hardening off today. The seedlings have all been kept inside with other vegetable seedlings (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, sunflowers, basil, etc.).

Today we noticed that every okra seedling was thickly covered in tiny gel-like clear spheres. They look like eggs, but we haven't seen any insects. The strange thing is that it's only the okra seedlings - and ALL of the okra seedlings - that have the "egg-like" objects.

They are on the under side of each leaf. We have about 80 okra seedlings, and a few hundred of other vegetable seedlings. Here's a link with a picture and more description:

http://www.vegarden.com/?p=370

Anyone seen this before? Is it some kind of egg, or an okra secretion?

Thanks for any help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okra: Tiny eggs or just jelly-like secretions?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, May 14, 07 at 19:52

Normal.

o

Normal. I've read of a few other people with this problem. What on earth is it?

o

I know that this is an old thread, but I am so glad that I found it. I was afraid that I might lose my seedlings!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here