Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
something munching my lettuce

Posted by pearsaml 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 13, 10 at 19:30

I went out to my backyard today, and what had seemed to be big healthy lettuce plants, have nearly all been munched up. Whatever it is starts around the outer edges of the leaves on the outside of the plant, leaving jagged edges of the leaves (if very much of the leaf at all). I am growing romaine and buttercrunch lettuce.

Is this caterpillar damage or something? It happened all of a sudden, and hasn't touched my tomato, spinach, broccolli, or strawberry plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: something munching my lettuce

Have you looked for slugs at night?

tj

o

I have looked-- I haven't found any in a while, and there is also no slime trail whatsoever anywhere near the lettuce.

All of the damage was done all at once, suddenly, within a 24 hour period. On heads of lettuce that are 30 feet away from each other... I was thinking maybe a caterpillar or beetle or something? I am having a hard time finding a lot of photos of lettuce pest damage online.

It's 10:30 pm and I just went out and checked with a flashlight for any culprits and didn't see anything except some aphids.

o

The way you are describing the quick devestation makes me wonder if you have cabbage worms. They are super fast at eating the vegetation and hard to see with their superb camo bodies. Have you found any sign of a bug what-so-ever? For instance . . . a poop trail on existing leaves?

--Amber

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here