Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenwise_gw

Safe Pesticides For Flowering Plants

JenWise
9 years ago

I have a balcony container garden that gets hit with a plague of aphids every year, plus random spider mites (these are always on new plants I bring home from the Union Square Greenmarket and other local nurseries...grrrrrrrrr!) and black leaf spots I assume are caused by mold. I used a waxy organic spray called Bonide last year that virtually suffocated all my plants, and since I don't grow anything edible, I've switched to a spray called Nutria by Bayer this year. The label says it's safe to cover all parts of my flowering plants with the spray after each rain, to prevent pests and fungi, but I'd like to know what others' experiences have been with this pesticide or other similar ones. Thanks in advance for your help!
P.S. In case anyone suggests ladybugs, I'll go ahead and mention that I bought a batch of refrigerated adults, but they came out of their cryosleep and promptly flew away before eating any aphids. I also went to a local park and picked about 1000 ladybug larvae off of leaves and brought them home. They ate a few aphids before cocooning, then also flew away. It was disappointing overall.

Comments (5)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

The simplest method to control Aphids is with a sharp spray of water to knock the wee buggers off the plants. Keep in mind that any insecticide could also kill off any predatory insects that might help control whatever insect pests you have.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Bonide is a company name, not a product itself. It manufactures a large number of pest control products, many of them considered organic or natural controls. The Bayer product is simply canola oil - you could be spraying your plants with the non-stick spray you use in your kitchen for the same results at most likely a 10th of the price. If anything is likely to smother your plants, it would be the Bayer product!

A strong spray of water is always the first line of defense when dealing with small outbreaks of aphids. Maintaining high humidity levels - which the spraying with water will do - will also help to discourage spider mites. I would also recommend Neem oil, a natural control that is also a miticide and fungicide. Not many other organic controls are very effective against spider mites.

It is also important to note that not all insecticides will "kill off" predatory or beneficial insects as well. Products like Neem oil or insecticidal soap primarily target sucking insects like aphids and spider mites. These are soft-bodied insects that breath through their skin and these types of insecticides coat the insect bodies and smother them. They have little to no effect on the beneficials that do not function in the same biological manner.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Most all knowledgeable sources Neem products are rated as a Toxic Category III for bees. Do not apply when bees are present. While of moderate toxicity for bees that does not mean non toxic.
    That is not information you get from people with a vested interest in selling these products.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Neem can be used safely on flowering plants. Avoid spraying open flowers, spray in the evening after the bees have returned to their hives, and follow mixing and application directions.

Researchers had to use a lot of neem to see any damage whatsoever to honeybees, far more than would be used in normal, responsible use. And a great many studies have been made and will be on going regarding the use of neem ON bees and IN hives for the extremely promising control of parasitic mites, one of the leading causes of the death of bees.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

I agree with the suggestion of spraying with water but also know this is not always practical on a balcony, where causing water to drip on balconies below can cause friction with neighbors, or prevented by building rules.

Are they the same plants from previous years? Is the soil in the pots leftover from previous years? There are a ton of different aphids, some are much more specific about which plant they attack. Possibly the population is overwintering in the pots?

We don't know what plants you are trying to grow, or the conditions/exposure of your balcony. If the conditions are on the fringe of what the particular plants need to grow vigorously, that could make them weaker, more susceptible to attacks by pests. Not enough info here to make a case about this, one way or the other. After reading your question, I was left wondering if a change in plants might be helpful in this situation (if that's something you're possibly flexible about.)

If you have an interest in discussing such an idea, you could add more info here about what plants you have, what hours the sun hits the balcony, what kind of soil, what style of pots.

You can also add pics, one pic per reply using the 'browse' button.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area