Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White mildew/mold on mulch

Posted by haplo_wm 7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 15, 09 at 20:16

My raised garden bed consists heavily of finely ground leaf mulch. We've had some pretty consistent rains over here for the last two to three weeks and now there is a white mildew growing on the mulch around the base of my squash and two of my tomatoes.

Is this harmful? What should I do about it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White mildew/mold on mulch

When it dries out the mold hypha will disappear but the spores will still be there and develop hypha well conditions are right. The mold is breaking down the mulch. Controlling the moisture in the mulch will keep the mold from reappearing.

o

So is this not harmful to the plants?

We've got more rain coming in tomorrow, but I can let the mulch dry out a little after that. It's a bit difficult, since the bed is mostly mulch and it retains moisture very VERY well.

I just want to be sure I'm not going to kill off my plants if I do nothing.

Thanks for the quick reply!

o

As a rule the growth of fungi,or even slime molds, is not hazardous to your plants. The conditions that make growth of these might be since they grow only where all the conditions, including excess moisture, are present. The real cure to molds and fungal growth is to fix the reason they grow where they grow.

o

Thanks for all the help guys!

I'll try to let things dry out a little a hope that things stabilize.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here